Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini-WSM chicken leg qtrs  (Read 3927 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Mini-WSM chicken leg qtrs
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:34 AM »
Since Wifey is still tired of leftover pulled pork, I picked up some chicken leg quarters. Tossed em' in a gallon size zip-lock bag with the rest of our Cesar dressing as a marinade. Getting close to dinner time and pulled out the camera.
I was in the mood for some smoke flavor, so I grabbed a cherry log for the mini. lol

Fired up some KBB the easiest way I know how --- gasser side burner

Fire & smoke is ready for the High Heat cook

The guests for the evening

Like it was meant to be...

See you boys in a while.

Added the second grate to the Joe and hit the bird with some direct heat to crisp up the skins.

Plated with some packaged rice and dinner was done just in time for us to head out for the weekend.

Turned out REALLY well!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Mini-WSM chicken leg qtrs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:05:44 AM »
Tossed the other 2 quarters in the freezer as we were heading out of town. Got back yesterday afternoon and neither one of us wanted to run out for anything. Well, got the cooked chicken in the freezer and a bunch of spuds left... So it began. Wifey got the chicken and defrosted it in the micro and I went to work on the spuds.
Sliced the taters the easiest way I know how --- Apple Slicer. 

Basket of red-hot KBB with a hunk of hickory

Taters in the 12" CI with EVOO & a buncha seasoning

Hard to tell from the still shot, but it was raining pretty hard. The newly installed deck ceiling already paid off. 

Taters are done and wife has the chicken hot & ready.
No plated pic, but it looked just like the one above except with taters instead of rice. lol

Until next time...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »
Wow that is a sharp looking pot! Oh, and the chicken looks nice too ;)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Good looking chicken and spuds.

We solved the 'got tired of pulled pork' with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. I portion it out and don't pull it out of the freezer until I have a taste for it.
kettles, smokers...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
Nice job Bman!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Mini-WSM chicken leg qtrs
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
That's one of my favorite mini wsm builds for sure! Those legs look fantastic, glad BGG kept you dry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
Chad
Great lookin little grill.  The food looked grate!  :)  I like your idea with the apple slicer for the spuds.  How long did that chicken take to cook...you had some high heat going there it looked like!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
Thanks fellas!  I'm really diggin' this mini guy.  Brought it to a pool party that was Bring Your Own Food where they have a gas grill.  Needless to say, it was the talk of the party and the dozen chicken legs I brought were a hit.  (I only got one)  lol

We solved the 'got tired of pulled pork' with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. I portion it out and don't pull it out of the freezer until I have a taste for it.
It *is* in the freezer, but I'm ready for more.  I might have to make SWMBO her beef so i can continue with my pulled pork.  :)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »
How long did that chicken take to cook...you had some high heat going there it looked like!

I was aiming to set new temps on the body thermometer, so I fired it up good.  lol  It peaked at 400 degrees, but maintained 350/375
I have a (foil/no water) heavier duty pie pan as the heat diffuser and it seems to work quite well.  I think I let this one smoke for 1.5 hours or so before I went direct for a few minutes.  It turned out perfect!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
Good looking chicken!  I use the steamer tray as my diffuser got it up to about 400deg.  didn't let it stay there tho as i shut it down as i was done with my cook.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Wow! Everything looks great! I like that idea with the potatoes! Nice job, Bman!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
Nice work!