Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Some relatives came for a visit  (Read 1352 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Some relatives came for a visit
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
Someone in my family started up some rumour that I can't cook. I don't know for sure who it was but I kind of have some suspicions.  Anyways, I set out to dispel that rumour.  The first thing I did was make some dessert early this afternoon.

Then, since I had multiple people visiting, I decided to make two rotisserie chickens with the roast potatoes because that's always been possible and it's an affordable way to make a lot of food.

One of the guests decided she wanted to eat in the living room by the fire which was fine with everyone and we all enjoyed a great dinner and put an end to that rumour.   Now I'm unwinding from the day by the fire.  Oh, I'm not done with those chickens yet. I drained the water from cooking the carrots into a large Lodge enamelled cast iron Dutch oven and will be making soup from the chicken bones tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Some relatives came for a visit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
I just made a batch of chicken stock as well.  Great job !

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
Nice way to end a day. Food looks 👍
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:15:00 AM »
I think they started the rumor so you would cook up a feast, the food looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on the cooking.  We had a great time.

I think they started the rumor so you would cook up a feast, the food looks awesome

I'm wondering if the rumour got started by my mother.  There's a split in my family when it comes to cooking and my parents lean strongly towards bland and cooked to death and on my aunt's side of the family leans strongly towards to using seasonings, medium rare doneness for beef etc. and I'm in the second category myself, so my parents don't really agree with my cooking.  I can see that being the starting point for the rumour.  At one point we were trading memories and horror stories about family gatherings where the meals went wrong when my parents have killed the food by accident.

Stoking up the fire and relaxing on the couch after all that yesterday was a nice way of winding down after it all.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:30:45 AM »
Is that peanut brittle I see?

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
Looks like a delicious cook! What is on the racks? (3rd pic)

Love the vacuum tube schematic avatar... got plenty of those in the basement..
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »

I'm wondering if the rumour got started by my mother.  There's a split in my family when it comes to cooking and my parents lean strongly towards bland and cooked to death and on my aunt's side of the family leans strongly towards to using seasonings, medium rare doneness for beef etc. and I'm in the second category myself, so my parents don't really agree with my cooking.  I can see that being the starting point for the rumour.  At one point we were trading memories and horror stories about family gatherings where the meals went wrong when my parents have killed the food by accident.

Stoking up the fire and relaxing on the couch after all that yesterday was a nice way of winding down after it all.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  My brother is in that first category, too.  I usually do Saturday nite dinner for the family (mom, sister, husband, daughter, husband, etc.).  Fortunately, for them, my brother lives on the other side of the state and only comes in once a month or so, 'cause when he's in town, I don't cook ! ! ! 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Image what you could do if you learned to cook!

Looks great!
Dude, relax your chicken.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
Is that peanut brittle I see?

Looks like a delicious cook! What is on the racks? (3rd pic)

Love the vacuum tube schematic avatar... got plenty of those in the basement..

Ah, I didn't identify the dessert - sorry!  Those are chocolate chip cookies.  I love peanut brittle but it's something I've never attempted to make so I'll have to give that a go sometime.

I'm glad you like the vacuum tube avatar.  I have some tubes on hand but I don't have a decent supply of spares.  I really should lay in more of a supply especially for triode/pentode types that some of my electronics use but aren't in current manufacture...

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
That looks hella tasty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »

I know exactly what you're talking about.  My brother is in that first category, too.  I usually do Saturday nite dinner for the family (mom, sister, husband, daughter, husband, etc.).  Fortunately, for them, my brother lives on the other side of the state and only comes in once a month or so, 'cause when he's in town, I don't cook ! ! ! 

BD

Here's a good example of grilled salmon from my parents place.  That platter of fish is exactly how it went on the grill - completely plain.  The plate in the other picture was my serving. Plain salmon. Plain steamed carrots with plain steamed cauliflower and a plain microwaved potato.  Plain.  Plain. Plain.

My parents tolerate my cooking once a year, if that, so I can see how the rumour got started.

I hear you because all it takes is one sufficiently big enough difference of opinion on food in the family to make gatherings tough.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

Here's a good example of grilled salmon from my parents place.  That platter of fish is exactly how it went on the grill - completely plain.  The plate in the other picture was my serving. Plain salmon. Plain steamed carrots with plain steamed cauliflower and a plain microwaved potato.  Plain.  Plain. Plain.

My parents tolerate my cooking once a year, if that, so I can see how the rumour got started.

I hear you because all it takes is one sufficiently big enough difference of opinion on food in the family to make gatherings tough.

It's like . . . why not just heat up some TV dinners ! ! !  (am I dating myself?)

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna