Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rest your hot and fast ribs  (Read 1151 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Rest your hot and fast ribs
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
I apply a base coat of salt and pepper and a top coat of hogs n heat rub to my baby backs. Cook one hour indirect in the 26 with a lit chimney of coal and a piece of cherry. 2nd hour double wrap foil with a little apple juice.

Normally I remove them from the foil and put them back to set a sauce then promptly eat.

Last night I skipped the last step and put them still wrapped straight into a cooler with a towel and brought them to a friends.

They probably rested in the cooler at least a half hour which I’m sure they continued to cook and render. I then unwrapped and dusted them with a little more rub, cut, and served. Best freaking ribs I’ve ever had. Juicy, tender,light smoke, huge smoke ring.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures. I really wish I would have.  Moral of the story, I think the rest made a huge difference.

My buddy I took them to uses a pellet smoker and cooks his for hours. He said mine blow his away. I agree of course but I wouldn’t tell him that. That’s ok, he beats me in the brisket category.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:28:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Rest your hot and fast ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
I used to wrap my ribs but stopped, why because i decided it wasn't worth the hassle, besides i use the time to drink another cold beverage! I think they taste just as good as wrapped and my wife likes them so.....
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
I’m not claiming this is the best method. It’s not even my method. It’s Vwengguy’s method. It works for me but everyone has their favorite way of making them. That’s what’s great about sharing ideas. Borrow a little knowledge here and there and try different things.

I like unwrapped as well. My wife likes the wrapped better but sometimes she doesn’t know the difference if I do the unwrapped good enough.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Rest your hot and fast ribs
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »
Thanks @HoosierKettle ;-)
In the last few batches of ribs I have done I changed up a few things and one thing I did was a OMG moment!
I buy the ribs frozen from a wholesale shop in 10 lbs+ boxes and I have to thaw them out in time before they go on the kettle.. the last time I did a few racks .. as soon as they were thawed enough to pull the bottom membrane off I decided to lightly salt the ribs with a smoked salt just because I had time to let it work in for a few hours.
H.S! :-o That was THE trick for a major improvement on already great ribs!! They hold all the moisture and are sooooo good that this is now part of the new Matt’s (vwengguy) Hot & Fast Ribs!
Now the trick here is I DO NOT have salt in my custom rub mix! So the the small amount of salt I use on the ribs before I cover them in my rub does not leave it too salty. Watch out for store bought rubs that have a ton of salt in them.. salt is cheap and a major filler in most store bought mixes.
I make my own rubs with pure ingredients so I don’t have to deal with things on the labels that I can’t even pronounce!
If you are using store bought rub mix that contains salt you might already be getting the same results!
Again as HoosierKettle said.. time is your friend! If you can let them rest they will get better! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:38:00 AM by vwengguy »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing all the tips!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
I may just have to give this a try...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
@HoosierKettle  I'm all about learning or doing it something different when cooking and by no means is one way better than another.

I learned how to BBQ/smoke from Harry Soo and put brown sugar and apricot juice before wrapping, ribs turned out great but man what a process!!! Hence the preference to do my ribs naked!! LOL
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
I have never wrapped my ribs, laziness probably, or like @1911Ron says more time for a beverage. That being said I may give it a try just to be different
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »

I have never wrapped my ribs, laziness probably, or like @1911Ron says more time for a beverage. That being said I may give it a try just to be different

One thing I like about wrapping is my color doesn’t get too dark. Especially when doing hot and fast.  It also ensures tender and juicy. But it’s kind of cheating at the same time. I do need to master the art of the unwrapped rib.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 04:19:34 AM »
This is what makes cooking on a Weber kettle so cool... trying different ways to cook something.
Here are some shots from when I did a rack hot and fast but totally skipped the foil wrap... they came out great also but not as moist as wrapped .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club