Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Fired Pizza on the Kettle :-)  (Read 4923 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Wood Fired Pizza on the Kettle :-)
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »
Friday night pizzas to start the weekend off right! I’m using my Kettle Pizza clone again for this cook. I managed a few good pics and wanted to post them up.

This is the amount of fuel I typically use. About a full chimney of unlit, topped by another chimney of lit.

I’ve only once had the need to add more briquettes and I Just slid them across the stone, without removing any parts of the oven or lid. On to the cook!

This pizza has marinara sauce, crushed garlic, parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, cremini mushrooms, black olives, mini red bell pepper, green onion and super thin slices of jalapeno pepper.

Oh yeah, my neighbor brought over some tasty beers to enjoy with the pizza!

Cooking away…

I took it out after less than 4-minutes in there. I’m rotating the pizza about every 20-30 seconds, otherwise it will quickly burn in the back.

This pizza is identical to the previous one, minus the red pepper.

This was the first time I have put jalapenos on my pizza and I can tell you I’m glad I did! I sliced them super thin, so they didn’t overpower the other ingredients. Just enough heat and flavor.

Thanks for checking out my cook post!

jp217p

• WKC Brave
Re: Wood Fired Pizza on the Kettle :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:03:52 PM »
Friday night pizzas to start the weekend off right! I’m using my Kettle Pizza clone again for this cook. I managed a few good pics and wanted to post them up.

This is the amount of fuel I typically use. About a full chimney of unlit, topped by another chimney of lit.

I’ve only once had the need to add more briquettes and I Just slid them across the stone, without removing any parts of the oven or lid. On to the cook!

This pizza has marinara sauce, crushed garlic, parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, cremini mushrooms, black olives, mini red bell pepper, green onion and super thin slices of jalapeno pepper.

Oh yeah, my neighbor brought over some tasty beers to enjoy with the pizza!

Cooking away…

I took it out after less than 4-minutes in there. I’m rotating the pizza about every 20-30 seconds, otherwise it will quickly burn in the back.

This pizza is identical to the previous one, minus the red pepper.

This was the first time I have put jalapenos on my pizza and I can tell you I’m glad I did! I sliced them super thin, so they didn’t overpower the other ingredients. Just enough heat and flavor.

Thanks for checking out my cook post!
Looks like a perfect cook!!!

What kit of the Pizza Kettle did you use?

Also, any recipes you'd like to share as far as pizza dough goes? It looks great. Not sure if it's because of how hot it is or the quality of the dough or both.... I'm trying to get into cooking pizzas on my kettle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
It looks really beautiful!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated!

Also, any recipes you'd like to share as far as pizza dough goes? It looks great. Not sure if it's because of how hot it is or the quality of the dough or both.... I'm trying to get into cooking pizzas on my kettle.

These are the Kettle Pizza parts I am using.

KettlePizza ProGrate

KettlePizza Baking Steel

This is the dough recipe I use.

1-cup warm water (~125*)
1-packet yeast (I use the Fleischmann's  “Pizza Crust” packets)
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. I cut the dough into equal sized pieces, depending on the size and thickness of crust I want. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise for one hour (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker/better). Prepare pizzas right away to avoid the dough from drying out, or put lids on them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:39:43 AM by Jason »

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated!

These are the Kettle Pizza parts I am using.

KettlePizza ProGrate

KettlePizza Baking Steel

This is the dough recipe I use.

1-cup warm water (100*-110*)
1-packet yeast (I use the Fleischmann's  “Pizza Crust” packets)
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. I cut the dough into equal sized pieces, depending on the size and thickness of crust I want. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise for one hour (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker/better). Prepare pizzas right away to avoid the dough from drying out, or put lids on them.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up and help me out. I'll be giving this a shot sometime this week. I don't have a fancy Kettle Pizza Kit but I do own a Summit Charcoal. I tried making some in it today for the first time with a pizza stone I had laying around. I started a crazy grease fire. Lol. I had to shut it all down and start over. My neighborhood was covered in smoke. Luckily everything went well through my second run. I made two pizzas that were just ok, there's room for improvement. I'll see how far I can get with the Summit set up, if it's not good enough I'll have to add a 22" Kettle and Kettle Pizza Kit.

ste6168

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
Can you show us the setup a bit more. The pizzas look great! I have the KP and pro grate, last time I put a cheap Char Broil brand great wrapped in aluminum foil on the top, wasn’t sure if that helped or made it worse...  I also used the char baskets to hold the charcoal in place. I’d like to try it again soon

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
@ste6168  Did you see this short video I made? It pretty much shows it all, step by step. I included a link to the original post below the video. Always happy to help out, so let me know if you have any more questions!

https://youtu.be/cwSulwlvQYI

Kettle Pizza Demo Vid Pulled From This Post
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:55:05 AM by Jason »

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
@ste6168  Did you see this short video I made? It pretty much shows it all, step by step. I included a link to the original post below the video. Always happy to help out, so let me know if you have any more questions!

https://youtu.be/cwSulwlvQYI

Kettle Pizza Demo Vid Pulled From This Post
Very cool! Thanks for the video.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »
You get enough heat using charcoal alone with no wood?  What brand briquettes are you using?  I'm guessing that baking steel makes a big difference and I probably need to add that into my pizza making.  If you've got some extra time on  your hands  next time you're making pizzas I'd love to see what differences you get if you were to remove that baking steel.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
@lksdrinker  I was using Weber briquettes. If you notice in the vid, I have chunks of oak from a bourbon barrel that spike the heat and give it the wood fired flavor. Without the baking steel, or something similar to use in its place, it very difficult to cook the top of the pizza, without burning the crust. Before I got the steel, I used the lid from a 55gal steel drum. It worked just as good as the baking steel. I rarely go over 600* (according to the TelTru) for the pizzas I make. They are usually done in 4-minutes give or take.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
@lksdrinker  I was using Weber briquettes. If you notice in the vid, I have chunks of oak from a bourbon barrel that spike the heat and give it the wood fired flavor. Without the baking steel, or something similar to use in its place, it very difficult to cook the top of the pizza, without burning the crust. Before I got the steel, I used the lid from a 55gal steel drum. It worked just as good as the baking steel. I rarely go over 600* (according to the TelTru) for the pizzas I make. They are usually done in 4-minutes give or take.

Ah!  in all fairness I failed and did not yet watch the video :-[  I've been making pizzas and struggling a bit to perfect the process.  I had commented elsewhere asking about that baking steel and what kind of difference it would make as I was struggling to get the topsides cooked well enough without burning the crust!  I do happen to have a steel drum (when I fantasized about making my own roti ring but never found the time!)....so will definitely look into trying it!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Delicious lookin pies Jason! Great cook!👍

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Fine looking pie.  I feel inspired to make pizza again.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 05:17:10 PM »
Fine looking pie.  I feel inspired to make pizza again.

Oh yeah, fire it up!  ;D

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
Jason is the "Pizza Man"