Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wings on the ring  (Read 1315 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings on the ring
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »
First run with wings. It worked really nice. You guys know I love direct wings and this was no exception. Easier to cook and more forgiving with the ring. More even temp across the grate.  My roti ring is pretty loose fitting and my fear was that it would be a constant flare up but not at all. I did tend the grill frequently but not as much without. Jules, I see why you spent so much effort on an elevated grill experience.

I really like cooking in this manner on the wsm and this way brings a little of that experience to the kettle.

I also made a sauce out of scotch bonnet peppers. It was excellent. I also had salt and pepper wings for the wife and franks red hot for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:07:22 PM by HoosierKettle »

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
Re: Wings on the ring
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
Love it! Wings look great!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »

Love it! Wings look great!!

Thanks!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
Looks good, but I'm not sure I follow the method?  Is it just a cooking grate atop the roti ring to elevate the cook further from the charcoal?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

Looks good, but I'm not sure I follow the method?  Is it just a cooking grate atop the roti ring to elevate the cook further from the charcoal?

Yes. I installed bolts in the ring for the grate to sit on. It just adds another way of cooking.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »
Nice job, Hoosier. Always enjoy your posts.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
Looks good man. Direct is just the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 02:58:02 AM »
Wings look delicious and that sauce sounds yummy! How did you like this method compared to WSM without a water pan?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:30:36 AM »

Wings look delicious and that sauce sounds yummy! How did you like this method compared to WSM without a water pan?

I like the wsm wings better so far.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Wings on the ring
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »
The only difference between the roti ring and wsm is the distance of the cooking grate to the charcoal grate.  Use less coal on the roti ring than you typically use on the wsm. It also helps if you use a certain type of charcoal ring so you can spread out the coal evenly. I found the sweet spot to be 14"-15" in diameter.  This also allows you to have an area that's a bit cooler by not being directly over the coals. Fill up the whole cooking grate if necessary and just rotate once the food  around the middle are done to your liking. For smaller, thinner items such as wings, you can cook it without the lid.  With the added ventilation, you'll end up with less smoky flavor. Obviously it would be more hands on as it will require more turning and moving the food around to cook evenly without burning them especially for meats that have a high fat content. But they're so thin anyway, it doesn't really take that long.

14"x3" ring.

Some spare ribs trimmings and ears. For reference, charcoal grate to cooking grate is 14". 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:00:24 PM by Jules V. »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
Such knowledge! Thanks Jules!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.