Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What are early 60's to early 70s 22" steel wheels & twist on ash pans worth?  (Read 671 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Today, I stopped by a garage sale & found a 22" patent pending MBH brownie with transitional plastic wheels where the treads were just completely gone.  It's got a couple chips on the lid, but otherwise looked in pretty good shape.  Wood handle is there, but painted over.  Wasn't certain if it was actually for sale, so I just asked how much it was & I bought it.

Afterwards, I stopped by another garage sale & found a 22" MBH black with the patent number on it.  It had a chip on the lid & otherwise looked well cared for & likely stored inside.  It has a really nice twit on ash pan & a set of really nice black steel wheels like those from the fairly early 60's to early 70's.  But, I thought the price seemed bit high for a black & thought I'd come back later this weekend & bargain them down as they indicated they would only go lower if it was still around later this weekend.  Later, I started having doubts & wondered if it might be worth it just for the parts alone.  I'm guessing the ashpan & the wheels are basically it for parts because new legs, triangles & grates are pretty much the same.  So, I began wondering what people's thoughts were regarding the value of those parts alone.

Thought it was weird that the patent pending browning I found right beforehand had trasitional wheels, but this one with the patent number on it had steel wheels.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:27:58 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
The brand new @Bertl-made ashpans go for $35+ shipping, I believe.  A used ashpan would probably go for anywhere from free to... $15? $20?  I would think good condition steelie wheels would be worth much more. Harder to come by with full treads.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:50:10 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks for the info, it confirmed my decision.  After thinking about it a bit, I decided to just buy it because I figured I could always just swap out the wheels & ashpan for some that were not as good on another of my kettles & then turn around and flip the kettle to lower my outlay for the swap-out. 
regards,
Hal