Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weathered Warrior Oil Stains  (Read 3477 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weathered Warrior Oil Stains
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
Just my idea.. but I would grab a bottle of isopropyl alcohol / rubbing alcohol from the drug store or Walmart and wash down the lid with that!
Use a clean rag and lots of it and that will act as a degreaser and dryer to leave the finish close to the original faded finish.
Wash the whole lid to make sure you don’t have 1/4 that is cleaner than the rest.
The problem you have is the oil is like a moisturizer the same as car wax on an old faded red car. Use the alcohol to remove the oil without doing any other damage and it should return to good old “old”.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »

26 in the middle Pam’d up

VERY NICE!! [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
I'll try that on a small test spot first @vwengguy
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

lunchman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »
New member here, just restored a 2002 18" Kettle. I'd seen your post, thinking that perhaps to get the shiny exterior back on my grill I'd try your mishap and apply cooking oil to the lid while hot. Well, during last night's (second) cook I managed to spill oil on the lid, resulting in a shiny spot very similar to yours. OK, so now it's got me irritated. I've been growing accustomed to the haziness and would prefer the entire lid to look that way.

This morning, I figured I'd give the degreaser recommendation a try. What harm could it do? It might work, it might do nothing or it might make things worse and I'd wind up applying cooking oil. Here's the stuff I have on hand, it's a generic version of Simply Green, available at Lowe's. I applied some to a cotton cloth and applied it multiple times to the entire lid (grill was cold). This stuff did the trick!

I wish I had before pics of the shiny blemish, but I don't.

In this after shot, you can barely make out where the shiny spot was, under my reflection. I still have a small area under the handle that I need to work on. It's difficult getting decent pics to show the area with the sun.

I actually kind of like the "dust covered" look of the patina.

Just figured I'd chime in here with my recent observations. As soon as I get a chance I'll post a thread on my restoration. There's a thread I've posted over in bbq brethren about it.

Regards,
-Dom

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle

603kettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Current patina

She’s a looker for sure.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
New member here, just restored a 2002 18" Kettle. I'd seen your post, thinking that perhaps to get the shiny exterior back on my grill I'd try your mishap and apply cooking oil to the lid while hot. Well, during last night's (second) cook I managed to spill oil on the lid, resulting in a shiny spot very similar to yours. OK, so now it's got me irritated. I've been growing accustomed to the haziness and would prefer the entire lid to look that way.

This morning, I figured I'd give the degreaser recommendation a try. What harm could it do? It might work, it might do nothing or it might make things worse and I'd wind up applying cooking oil. Here's the stuff I have on hand, it's a generic version of Simply Green, available at Lowe's. I applied some to a cotton cloth and applied it multiple times to the entire lid (grill was cold). This stuff did the trick!

I wish I had before pics of the shiny blemish, but I don't.

In this after shot, you can barely make out where the shiny spot was, under my reflection. I still have a small area under the handle that I need to work on. It's difficult getting decent pics to show the area with the sun.

I actually kind of like the "dust covered" look of the patina.

Just figured I'd chime in here with my recent observations. As soon as I get a chance I'll post a thread on my restoration. There's a thread I've posted over in bbq brethren about it.

Regards,
-Dom

Thanks for the tip and welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »
It wouldn’t come clean. Oiled her up

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
[emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 03:53:08 AM »
How long will the pam job stay?

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
Nice!  I'm sure it will even out with time.  Looks great.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
Hopefully it works.  I'd be unhappy too, if that happened to mine.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
How long will the pam job stay?

I have no idea. I’ll do my best with this. I’ll make my A code my primary cooker and leave it uncovered. I’ll try to take a pic every month and post them to this thread.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
Man, the cooker really looks good. Hard to say it was a mistake, when it looks like a blessing.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
A little late but minimal change IMO

She did make us some good chops tonight.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
For anyone still following I always bank my coals on the left side. She’s slowly starting to fade on that side. I need to start rotating my lid now.