Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Haters?  (Read 2490 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Taco Haters?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 07:01:16 AM »
I actually (brace yourselves) LIKE the taco or potato chip as Weber calls them. They work great especially with Vortex cooks. That being said, I like the classic look of the strap lid handle but from a functionality standpoint the potato chip shield does its job. I DO PREFER the look of the taco with the traditional strap shape shown in this thread. I’ve got a couple fireplace straps I will be doing this with in the Spring.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »
only issue I have with the taco is the damage it can cause to the porcelain
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Personally, I have no issue with the taco. I actually like it. What bothers me is how Weber reshaped the handle to that bendy shape.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
I agree, my LE has cracked porcelain at the taco handle. Only one side was cracked, I noticed it about a week ago.
Then today I got it out to shine it up a little with some detail spray and the other side cracked a big piece off, it popped up and nearly flew up in my eye.
I made a warranty claim with Weber after that.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »
My ivory did too..

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »
Just poor design. You need to install a gasket between the taco shell and lid. A very large washer on the inside with a regular bolt should prevent chippings.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
I've been through 6 various taco grills, and haven't chipped one yet. All have been assembled using Weber's instructions,

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
Like the clean look without the taco but really like not burning my hands and not having to look for a glove or towel to lift a lid.
I have a few non-taco kettles some with the older white handles and some with the newer grey handles. It seems like the older white colored handles do not get as hot as the newer grey colored handles. Nothing scientific but it seems that way. Anyone else notice a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »
Like the clean look without the taco but really like not burning my hands and not having to look for a glove or towel to lift a lid.
I have a few non-taco kettles some with the older white handles and some with the newer grey handles. It seems like the older white colored handles do not get as hot as the newer grey colored handles. Nothing scientific but it seems that way. Anyone else notice a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

One type of off white handle (flat top with grooves running across top and bot.) has solid bot. section of the handle almost 1/2" thick. Other type of white with a curve top has few cut outs but still very thick. I could take some comparison pics with new gray if someone want to see it.

Newer style gray handles are featherweights in comparison as they are all hollowed out inside. So, quicker heat transfer on thin gray handles vs takes longer on thick white handles? Maybe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:13:58 PM by greenweb »

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 06:48:30 AM »
I agree, my LE has cracked porcelain at the taco handle. Only one side was cracked, I noticed it about a week ago.
Then today I got it out to shine it up a little with some detail spray and the other side cracked a big piece off, it popped up and nearly flew up in my eye.
I made a warranty claim with Weber after that.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
That's one hell of a camera you have there.  I can see your fingerprint in great detail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
Tacos are cool...

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need