Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gourmet Griddle  (Read 2413 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: Gourmet Griddle
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
Your life your choice [emoji3]

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
Ok, that answers my question. But the instructions from Weber state "Do not add oil! Add oil to the meat, not the griddle."

So my sliced onions will fry up dry and stick and burn...ugh!

I think that is just Weber’s motto when it comes to grate. I’ve heard it in their videos for platted steel, stainless steel. They always say “oil the food, not the grates”. It’s no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »
Well, it doesn't work for the griddle. Oiling the food is ok for cooking on the grate. CI requires oil on the bottom...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:59:28 PM by qrczak1 »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »
And BTW, I do not oil the food that I put on the grate. I use always mostard.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »
I'll give this a shot...using a small amount of oil to fry the onions for the brats. Wanted to post photos from the Farmer's Market in Frankfurt.
My favorite brat stand there just fry's the brats in a shallow pan of oil (large griddle). That's it. I go there every Thursday for my Brat's 'n Beer fix.
The only toppings offered are mustard, ketchup, and curry.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:12:34 PM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 04:19:39 PM »
I live .5 mile from the German border. I know what you are talking about

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
Well, the finish on the Weber Gourmet Griddle is quite rough. All of my USA made cast iron frying pans have a smooth finish.

Is this an indication of quality in the manufacturing process? If my wife finds out it's from China, she will insist on sending it back!

Any chance all of your smoother cast iron pieces are vintage? (or at least older than current).  I grabbed vintage griswold piece once and did a bunch of research on restoring and CI pieces in general.  The consensus is that the casting process back in the day was done with a different sand than what is used currently which lead to a much smoother surface.  That plus years of good use can eventually give you an almost mirror finish!  Someone in the family knows we started using a lot of cast iron (but didnt know it was all vintage stuff).  They bought me a new Lodge piece and I really dislike using it compared to any of my older stuff!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Gourmet Griddle
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
New lodge is rough but not as rough as foreign equivalents and is consistent across the surface. The more you use it, the better it is. I made this video using a 6 month old lodge skillet. Notice I use no more butter than what you would use in nonstick. The smoothness of the cast iron has almost nothing to do with its performance. It’s all in the care and maintenance. I sanded another skillet smooth and didn’t care for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have a family handed down vintage griswold but not enough to pay more than a modern lodge.

https://youtu.be/AS6Ds9S7qak

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:46:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:01 AM »
However, I’m certain I wouldn’t particularly like a rough porcelain coated griddle as in this case but who knows, I haven’t used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
My skillets are all 20 plus years old, some from Lodge, and a couple other brand names. The oldest of them are silky smooth, the younger ones not so much.

Impressed with your video!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:06:15 AM by TXFlyGuy »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
Just got off the phone with Weber...they said it is Ok to use some oil if cooking on the griddle.