Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you “grill” on your kettle?  (Read 1450 times)

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
How do you “grill” on your kettle?
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
For those of you that have done straight grilling with the use of GrillGrates (a full set of GG’s) where you load your entire grill down with meat and cook it “semi-direct” on top of the GG surface, do you prefer the results you get to grilling with a 2 zone setup?  I’ve been doing all of my charcoal “grilling” on top of GG’s for years now, but most of that experience has been with ceramic kamados where airflow and achieving high temps was never an issue. I absolutely love the results of the grease bombs dripping into the fire and imparting that unique flavor into the meat. On my 26 kettle I often times struggle to keep the dome temp above 300°, even when the kettle is loaded with 2 chimneys of lit lump charcoal. Seems that the GG’s mess with the airflow on kettles when using a full set across 90% of the standard grate surface.

Am I doing something wrong when using GG’s?

Should I just get used to 2 zone grilling where I have no issue with high heat, especially when using my SnS XL?  Sure will miss the flavor of full semi-direct grilling if I go this route (at least I think I will).

How many of you guys have a SnS and NEVER take it out of your kettle no matter what type of cooking you are doing?

What say you guys, the kettle gurus?!?! :)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:28:54 PM »
I have partial grill grates but rarely use them.

First thing I would do is lose all the gadgets and try grilling on the grill normally if you haven’t. That will give you a base line to learn how the gadgets affect the cooking temperature.

Lump only gives higher temps with plenty of air flow. The 26 has the same exhaust as a 22 but is a larger grill. Sometimes cracking the lid for awhile is all that is needed for a temperature boost.

Grilling direct over the charcoal with the normal grate will not flare up if you have the lid on. Items do need turned and rotated more frequently than indirect.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:38:45 PM by HoosierKettle »

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
Re: How do you “grill” on your kettle?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »

First thing I would do is lose all the gadgets and try grilling on the grill normally if you haven’t. That will give you a base line to learn how the gadgets affect the cooking temperature.

Lump only gives higher temps with plenty of air flow. The 26 has the same exhaust as a 22 but is a larger grill. Sometimes cracking the lid for awhile is all that is needed for a temperature boost.

Grilling direct over the charcoal with the normal grate will not flare up if you have the lid on. Items do need turned and rotated more frequently than indirect.

Grilling without all the gadgets... what a great idea... lol!  I will give that a try next time I fire up the kettle. I guess I got myself so used to GG’s on my kamados, that I felt like they needed to travel to the kettle ;-)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »
How are the vent settings? On my 26” I have no problem maintaining 400-450 with a full chimney of Stubbs or Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes. I never control temp with my top vent.  I use my Slow n Sear as a charcoal basket in my 26er

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »
How are the vent settings? On my 26” I have no problem maintaining 400-450 with a full chimney of Stubbs or Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes. I never control temp with my top vent.  I use my Slow n Sear as a charcoal basket in my 26er

When grilling with GrillGrate’s, I always have top and bottom vents 100% open.  Do you do any direct grilling in your 26, or do you do everything 2 zone using your SnS?  How would you grill up a mess of skin on chicken thighs? Or how do you grill a mess of burgers? Direct or 2 zone set-up?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »

Grilling without all the gadgets... what a great idea... lol!  I will give that a try next time I fire up the kettle. I guess I got myself so used to GG’s on my kamados, that I felt like they needed to travel to the kettle ;-)

The grill grates are very cool. I use the flat side for smash burgers and veggies.  I’ve contemplated getting a full set for the 26 but mainly for a griddle option.

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »

The grill grates are very cool. I use the flat side for smash burgers and veggies.  I’ve contemplated getting a full set for the 26 but mainly for a griddle option.

Yes, as a griddle surface they kick butt!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
Damn!  Those look great!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »

When grilling with GrillGrate’s, I always have top and bottom vents 100% open.  Do you do any direct grilling in your 26, or do you do everything 2 zone using your SnS?  How would you grill up a mess of skin on chicken thighs? Or how do you grill a mess of burgers? Direct or 2 zone set-up?

I haven’t done much direct grilling in the 26er. Mainly large quantities 2 zone or long snakes for low and slow.

I always do my chicken thighs indirect with a full chimney. I end up with crispy skin and juicy meat. Always use a drip pan for the mess that will be made.

Burgers are usually direct with a half chimney lit and spread out evenly in a 22” Kettle. Lid only goes on to prevent crazy flare ups.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 03:41:51 AM »
I use my Grill Grates quite a bit. Primarily on my PK’s and Genesis gasser.
Here’s a few Flat top grill cooks I did recently on my 18”. It’s pretty much a grill only setup and rotisserie cooker.

Charcoal ring in center, fired off with torch, it gets blazing hot!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
I use my Grill Grates quite a bit. Primarily on my PK’s and Genesis gasser.
Here’s a few Flat top grill cooks I did recently on my 18”. It’s pretty much a grill only setup and rotisserie cooker.

Charcoal ring in center, fired off with torch, it gets blazing hot!

Love it!! I have wondered if a charcoal ring on my 26 would help me sustain a higher cooking temp when using a full set of GG’s... did you make your own ring? Any chance you can post a pic of it?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
Obviously it's a totally different subject, but another option is to use a stacker.  A stacker allows the full use of the cooking  grate.  Don't have to worry about flare ups reaching your food.  Doesn't matter if you're cooking directly over a raging hot charcoal. Works with single or multi zone temperature depending on the charcoal arrangement.  More than 90% of all my cooks utilizes a stacker...and that includes wings with crispy skin.

Grate on top level of stacker.

Main grate on lower level of stacker and a secondary/warming grate above.

Wings utilizing a diffuser for a single zone. Not turning or moving the wings needed.

Different charcoal arrangements.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:17:00 AM by Jules V. »

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 04:27:42 AM »
Obviously it's a totally different subject, but another option is to use a stacker.  A stacker allows the full use of the cooking  grate.  Don't have to worry about flare ups reaching your food.  Doesn't matter if you're cooking directly over a raging hot charcoal. Works with single or multi zone temperature depending on the charcoal arrangement.  More than 90% of all my cooks utilizes a stacker...and that includes wings with crispy skin.

Grate on top level of stacker.

Main grate on lower level of stacker and a secondary/warming grate above.

Wings utilizing a diffuser for a single zone. Not turning or moving the wings needed.

Different charcoal arrangements.

Very cool setup! I see many benefits in those pics :)