Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Ultimate Weber Kettle  (Read 9573 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The Ultimate Weber Kettle
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
Hypothetically speaking as an untrained, inexperienced, unqualified and nonsensical wannabe tinkerer here's idea "for somebody."

As I look over this and similar designs it seems to me the biggest roadblock is the bowl mounting/cutout(s) for the metal table. An enterprising person could supply a precut metal top and depending on the design the recipient could make a jigsaw-cut wood top below it to support the metal top. Ideally, a "replacement" Performer bowl in the preferred color or craigslist donor would be used instead of a donor OTS for example, so that "proper" mounting bolts could be used. Either that or a special mounting scheme for standard bowls would be designed and supplied also.

From there, a list of commonly found frame pieces/sizes, legs, wheels, pre-made drawers etc. could "just be bolted together."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
Addicted, the locating and fitting of the bowl is not a huge issue. Mine is just located with metal straps that I can bend and twist to adjust the height it sits at. I have drilled holes through the bowl for attaching. The pictures will explain. Incidentally, this is the first table I made with a single kettle. It utilised a metal frame clad in Merbau, whereas the newer double barreled version is fully built from timber.

And this is a hang-on table I made for my brother.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
Hey Joe your such a show off  and we love it !!!!
All awesome builds by the way and what an entrance to WKC
Be sure to introduce yourself , look out guys and gals we have another crazy Aussie onboard
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
Sign me up for one Tim, that there kettle setup is the ultimate
You need to send a few designs through to Weber, cause that beats the hell out the the new Performer models
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Very nice! You would be a good candidate to fab the first 26" performer. ;)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
The fridge is a stretch but the rest of the stuff I threw on my design is easily doable. If I didn't already have a Performer I'd consider putting something like this together. Otherwise I don't think I could convince my wife.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Jocool that's some serious chops there. Thanks for the insider's view.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch