Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Ultimate Weber Kettle  (Read 9575 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
The Ultimate Weber Kettle
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:27:20 AM »
Thought a thread for everyone to dream up their own idea of the ultimate Weber Kettle would be fun. Here's mine:

26" Performer - Frame and table like the old SS, but with the kettle centered between two tables
Flip-up butcher block on both ends
Lid would hinge to the back and open 90 degrees - like the ones they use at the Weber Grill
Gas-assist - using a 20lb tank so I can swap it with a gasser if needed
Twin table-mounted high output chimney-lighters / side burners
2 storage bins - one for charcoal - one for smoking wood
Bigger version of the gourmet-system grill grate
Color - Black of course! Hey, it's MY dream!

So... what's in your head?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: The Ultimate Weber Kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
Ummm, I'll take one of those as well, you can have the black Marty, I'll take whatever other color is available! 

Maybe instead one flip up butcher block, there could also be an undermount secondary table that swings out and locks.  It would be mounted flush under the existing table.  Maybe one of those two storage bins could double as a cooler!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
The Ultimate Weber Kettle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »
Oh man make it purple or bone white and I'm so sold!!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »
Screw the black. Give me that nice blue.

-I like the larger side table, so I'm good with the kettle on the side and then making the table to the right a little longer.
-Don't need table top gas assist. The one in the kettle is good, but maybe need ones mounted 45* apart, or ones at opposite ends.
-I like your storage bin idea, but wood should be almost fresh anyway and only lasts a given period, so a much smaller bin would be fine. For the charcoal, it needs to hold a full bag of charcoal, not just a half bag, or a full bag dumped out. i want to be able to pull the bag out and dump what I need vs using my hands to scoop it out of the bin.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »
This is a hard question for me to answer because I build everything I want. I could make the 26 Performer, but i'm just not a big performer fan. If it was up to me Weber would go back to the old 52 style lid and make a smoker attachment like the CB stacker. Oh, and go back to the three vents on the bottom. :)

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »
I would like a 22 with a tall lid like the WSM for beer chicks and turkeys

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »
This is a hard question for me to answer because I build everything I want. I could make the 26 Performer, but i'm just not a big performer fan. If it was up to me Weber would go back to the old 52 style lid and make a smoker attachment like the CB stacker. Oh, and go back to the three vents on the bottom. :)

Oh hell no. The three vents may work well for a smoker, but I've burned myself trying to adjust them. The new way with the lever IMHO is heads and shoulders better. Plus it is easier to see and you do it from one spot rather than getting on your knees and adjusting all around the kettle.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »

Oh hell no. The three vents may work well for a smoker, but I've burned myself trying to adjust them. The new way with the lever IMHO is heads and shoulders better. Plus it is easier to see and you do it from one spot rather than getting on your knees and adjusting all around the kettle.

I have way more trouble doing stuff like this on a One Touch.......

The daisy wheels (3 separate vents) have a definite place........way better slow smokers......

I turn the wheels with my charcoal tongs, not fingers.... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
No need for gas assist with side burners. But I would probably stick with a single side table and some storage. What you describe sounds intriguing, but I would have to put a trailer hitch on it and tow it around the patio. Putting everything in one package makes it a bit inflexible. I'd rather have some separate pieces I could arrange as needed for any particular cook - sort of a modular configuration.

One thing I would add would be a half height shelf of some sort to hold a mini-WSM (or an 1880 should the rumors be true.)
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »

Now, back to the original question.....

So... what's in your head?

I put up a list of stuff the other day in response to someting Mr. Reilly asked about.....

It included the "Stealth Weber"...............

I've  had this idea floating around for almost 6 years (actually longer, but it keeps morphing to a more complex form as I run across other strange items to add on ), but it will probably require some welding.....

In that lentgh of time I could have just taught myself to weld, but life happens  & other people have offered welding help & then crapped out, so I may just learn to weld......

I can't actually tell you what's happening with this, as it's "Top Secret"......just that I do have the electronics packages all prepped, the hood partially complete, the lower frame partly hashed out, some of the metal cutting accomplished,the blower system ( actually it's a suction system) mapped & part way fixed up, the control panel part way set up & some work on the road cases........

Oh, and it will probably weigh in at 4 X the weight of a standard 22-1/2"............ 8) :o 8)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
OK Buckie, you're just teasing us now.  I'm sure what ever ideas you have come up with will be as transformable as they are unconventional. 

I have been reading some of your cooking tips and have been inspired.  I am not a chef and really only attempted to cook a couple of things.  But this weekend I will be attempting your brisket with the daisy chain charcoal ring. 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »
Brisket sounds like a good idea right about now!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
OK Buckie, you're just teasing us now.  I'm sure what ever ideas you have come up with will be as transformable as they are unconventional. 

I have been reading some of your cooking tips and have been inspired.  I am not a chef and really only attempted to cook a couple of things.  But this weekend I will be attempting your brisket with the daisy chain charcoal ring.

See if you can find one that's real flexible / pliable, I play with all of them at the store.....so what if ya get a few weird looks.....it's not their brisket.........

I've had the best result doing a whole one, at fairly low temps.....I start by trimming the fat down some so it's even across the length, cook 4~5 hours fat cap down, then stick it in a pan, fat cap up with some broth, up on a cookie rack to keep it from getting mushy in the liquid.....
Foil over to braize it some & watch for it to probe REAL easy at somewhere around 200 internal...........
Here's where either a 26-3/4 kettle or bending the corners up on a full size hotel pan will come into play......
It will be tough right up until the soft butter-like poke with a therm or a skewer.....

If you're going to monitor temp, aim for the thick part of the flat, kinda under where the point overlaps..............

Rest in foil for at least an hour.............
I separate point & flat ( they will almost fall apart from each other when done) & either slice both or cube the point into a pan for burnt ends............

It only seems tricky......just try to  keep even temp, they don't like heat spikes........

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Oh boy.....Thanks for starting this Marty!!!!!
 Now u got me thinking of really building one of those illusive 26" performer. I just need to find the time.....and maybe a little money, lol

Brent

Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Saw these over at TVWBB a while back.  I think it said it was a 26.5 kettle.