Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Critique my first ribs cook  (Read 1170 times)

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
Critique my first ribs cook
« on: August 21, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »
First off, being very new to the bbq’ing works, thanks to everyone who has helped me get going- whether it be bent settings, temps, accessory recommendations, etc.

Did my first baby back ribs cook this past weekend on my 22” kettle premium and was hoping to get some feedback on a few things. I will say all my research up here and on YouTube must have really helped shorten my learning curve because these came out miles better than I thought they would. Anyway, here’s the final product, then we’ll get into details:

- filled one charcoal basket 90% full of unlit coals
- added 10 lit coals to one corner of the basket
- 3 small chunks of apple wood across the top of coals
- foil covering 1/2 the charcoal grate (side opposite the coals)
- water pan also on side opposite coals (underneath ribs)
- ThermoPro an inch above the grate on indirect side next to ribs to monitor temp
- Vents: started off with top wide open and bottom 1/2 open. Had to move bottom to 1/4 open as it was hovering around 270 at the beginning.
- Temp maintained 260-270 most of the cook.
- 3 hrs smoked, 1 hr wrapped, 30 minutes after saucing.
- A really heavy rain shower came the last 20 minutes so that dropped my temp to like 200. Nothing I could do about that.
- bend test : ribs bent downwards to almost straight down with just a couple cracks here and there
- flavor was AMAZING, weren’t “fall off the bone” but had a little bite to them, which is how I love my ribs. However I know some of my family members prefer fall off the bone so I want to be able to do that as well.

Now, for my questions/observations:
- what should I have done to get my
Temps closer to 225, max of 250 instead of 260-270? Less lit charcoal to start?
- Is there a better charcoal setup than what I used? My full basket seemed to start dropping temp just shy of the 3 hrs in mark, which is when I lit about 6 more coals and added to the basket to bring temps back up and get me through the rest of the cook. This might be where a slow-n-sear shines
- how would I adjust that cook to achieve more tenderness/ closer to fall off the bone? Just cook it longer?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:40:49 PM by Twangin »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
My $.02

Don’t worry about the difference between 225-250 vs 260-270.

I’ve seen a lot of posts about folks worrying over temp like that and in all my rib cooks I would say it doesn’t really matter. I have a comfort range of 225-260 and if I’m in that range I’m not tweaking vents.

If you want them more tender let the fat render longer. If they will go longer I usually spray or brush on straight apple juice about every 30-40 minutes.  Also, try St Louis spares. They will take a lot longer but if you get them right they are amazing.

I don’t mess with the bend test. I do a toothpick test. Like you, I like a little bite to my ribs but still tender and juicy. If the tooth pick goes in easy and has a slight tug pulling out then I’m ready to let them rest. For fall off the bone, the toothpick will be like butter both ways.

For your first time, you nailed it bro. Those look great. I think ribs are fun to cook and if I had it my way I’d do a rack every weekend. Cook more, keep a journal of your fuel setup, temps, and cook times and you’ll get it to a repeatable process that you can just setup and go. Also, try a snake instead of baskets. Much more stable IMO.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Critique my first ribs cook
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »
I respect the meticulous notes and attention to detail! In the end, if the ribs tasted great, your cook was successful, and that's all that matters.  It sounds like all that homework you did paid off.

Regarding your reference to the Slow 'n Sear, I swear by mine. I've cooked ribs using it several times and it does a masterful job of maintaining the same temperature throughout the cook. 
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback @kettlebb and @TheKevman ! Good to know it’s not too critical to get caught up in temp. I will say, during the cook I was having an absolute blast and wasn’t even worried about not hitting my 225-250 as I had planned. Told myself I’d just play it by feel and it would all turn out ok.. and it did! Forgot to mention I used a ThermoPro monitor for grate temp and that was the coolest thing ever watching my kettle temp from 200 ft away in my shop while cracking a cold beer & piddling around [emoji1303]

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:39:20 PM by Twangin »

TD15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
Perfect!!  Good ribs, cold beer in the shop, and some experience to work off of... nailed it[emoji1360]

I enjoy the fuss keeping 225, but I think reality is that if you stay 250-60 or under it really is all about the finish temp.  Find your preference and own it!  Fall off the bone is just a few more degrees but might be another hour.  All part of the fun and experience.  Cook more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Meatpolice

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
Hang em next time!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
@Meatpolice ... how do you hang ribs in a 22” Kettle Premium ?
I’ll try anything once but I just don’t see how anyone can easily hang a full rack of ribs in a kettle?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 05:18:10 AM »
Awesome cook, great write up, I love doing ribs, I don't usually do baby backs but yours look awesome. I also believe in the wider temp range 225-260 I am good with it, less fiddling with vents means more time for beer or whatever your pleasures are.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »
@Meatpolice ... how do you hang ribs in a 22” Kettle Premium ?
I’ll try anything once but I just don’t see how anyone can easily hang a full rack of ribs in a kettle?

You don't have the KettleHammock? Are you not paying attention?

Yeah, me neither.

Anyway, this looks like a nice cook-up of some ribs. Good job.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
Oh 🤦🏼‍♂️  now I see it.. it’s a local thing and I don’t live in FL.

Anyways.. the ribs look fantastic !
Just keep doing what my wife says all the time.. “Keep Practicing” and she will will keep eating them.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:52:48 AM by vwengguy »

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:31 AM »
Thanks again for the continuing positive comments! Much appreciated. One thing I do see that I will need is a good set of knives for trimming.. any suggestions without spending over $100?