Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Truly Barbecued Brisket  (Read 941 times)

gyded

• Happy Cooker
Truly Barbecued Brisket
« on: August 21, 2018, 08:46:37 AM »
Hello all, after some help!!!

There I am on page 93 of Weber's Complete Barbecue Book trying the infamous Brisket for the second time. The recipe calls for 2.5-3 kg of brisket. Since I live with a family of vegetarians I am reduced to a brisket cut of .75kg. I smother it in rub and follow the instructions meticulously. Know how to manipulate the charcoal temp exactly got an internal temp probe and everything. The whole thing takes several hours and I even go through the famous brisket stall for a couple of hours ( as I down another couple of brews). Its all wrapped up in tin foil, pan of water, snake method etc etc. I follow the instructions to a T and the sucker still comes out dry!!!!
What on earth am I doing wrong? I have no intention of giving up but any tips on the cooking procedure or even what beer to drink while the stall is happening is OK with me!

Love this forum.... one final question...on a technical note. I have an MacBook. On the Internet address at the top, apple said there should be a little padlock sign to indicate the website is secure, otherwise best to avoid. Who to contact about this?

Thanks y'all Dominic

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Truly Barbecued Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
As for the briskit, when it's done, try wrapping it in a couple towels, with foil still on. Put in in an ice chest, with the towels, and st it set for at least 3-4 hours. This will stay hot/warm and let any juices redistribute.
For the Mac book, call tech support, or don't go on unsecure websites.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »
You could try an injection of beef broth.   

IMHO, it’s the size of your brisket, which is probably a lean flat cut.  Small flats are tough to keep moist for even experienced bbq cooks.  I have switched to cooking only packer briskets, which is overkill for your purpose.  Try to find the point portion of the brisket, which is fattier and more forgiving to cook.   Alternatively, go for a well marbled chuck roast, which has a brisket like flavor and is very forgiving. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TD15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »
What has been said already are all on target.  Small briskets have a narrow margin of error.  And a proper rest of a good 2+ hours is critical.  When I do small ones I will wrap in sooner, before the stall, and it’s been a pleasing result.

I also recommend an additional Miller Lite after you wrap in foil.  It really does taste great and is less filling.  If you’re concerned about dryness in your brisket, drink another one.  This always works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
I say you definitely should switch to chuck roast until you have it mastered...The chuck is a far more forgiving chunk of beef to learn on...Brisket flat is a fickle b***h that can mess up the best griller... Party on Garth...

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Truly Barbecued Brisket
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »
All good suggestions. The Weber cookbook I have says to cook brisket to 190* and then remove to let cool. I only cook packers and I’ve never had one done at 190*. I go by tenderness and when you can poke the brisket with the probe and it goes in like it’s butter it’s done. In my experience the done temp has been a little over 200* up to 212*. 
Only thing to add is when you wrap in foil during the cook be sure to add some liquid. My choice for a full packer brisket is about 8oz of Beef broth or even had great success with a Coke Zero when realized had no beef broth during a cook. Pour the liquid right on top of the brisket very slowly and it will soak right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app