Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Go-to vent settings  (Read 2377 times)

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
Go-to vent settings
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
Hi all-  I’ve really been enjoying my new 22” Kettle, pretty much addicted at this point! Ready to move up to a more involved cook so I’m researching/planning for either Baby Back Ribs or about a 5lb Boston Butt. Either way, I want to do them low and slow around 250F (225-275). I was hoping some of you could share some of your low and slow “go-to” settings for the top & bottom vents on your 22” kettles. Even the amounts of charcoal you use (lit & unlit) would be awesome as well.

Seems like I’ve seen bottom vent 1/4 open & top vent 1/2 open a few times as a popular choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Go-to vent settings
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
I never mess with the top vent...it's always wide open.  Bottom vent (unless you are running a three wheeler) just cracked.  A snake works very well as far as coal set up.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
Last cook I ran a 2x1 snake and had the bottom vent just cracked open and the top about half way. I only touched the top vent a couple times and settled just under 250 for 6 hours, but your ambient temps will also have to be factored in.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »
I do bottom vent slightly open and adjust top as needed throughout the cook.  Play with your bottom vent ahead of time and make some marks on the ash catcher showing 1/4 and 1/2 open so you know where you are at.  During the cook you usually can't see the openings to know where the vents are set. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
I never mess with the top vent...it's always wide open.  Bottom vent (unless you are running a three wheeler) just cracked.  A snake works very well as far as coal set up.

This. You want the top wide open for as much exhaust that you can get.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
This is all very helpful y’all! Much appreciated. Curious about this here though:

What are the benefits of getting “as much exhaust as you can get”? Is that so you don’t over smoke your meats, or smother your coals?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
This is all very helpful y’all! Much appreciated. Curious about this here though:

What are the benefits of getting “as much exhaust as you can get”? Is that so you don’t over smoke your meats, or smother your coals?

Cleaner burning fire and smoke if you’re using wood chunks. 

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
I go with 1/2 open on the bottom and 1/2 open on the top.  Works well for me.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Twangin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the tips! Gonna give ribs a try this weekend [emoji1303]

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:51:56 AM »

Cleaner burning fire and smoke if you’re using wood chunks. 

With wood chunks I leave it wide open...Just charcoal, I can close it a bit without causing "bad" smoke...

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:23 AM »
...doesn't  leaving the top vents wide open, cause the charcoal to burn quicker though?

I would have thought that keeping the vents almost fully closed would cause the charcoal to burn longer and hotter, no?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Go-to vent settings
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
...doesn't  leaving the top vents wide open, cause the charcoal to burn quicker though?

I would have thought that keeping the vents almost fully closed would cause the charcoal to burn longer and hotter, no?

No. Open vents equals hotter and faster.

I crack the lower vent and will close top vent to half when needed to achieve lower temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

Keeping all the vents mostly closed will cause coals to burn longer but not hotter...Less air means less fire...So less heat...
With added smoke wood less air means inadequate burning producing acrid smoke...
Control temps with bottom vents as much as possible and mess with the top vent only when you have too...

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

That’s a really cool add on. Did you make it yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app