Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Not To Do (Pt.1)  (Read 2336 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
What Not To Do (Pt.1)
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »
Do not use your wife's Farberware melting pots on the grill. The stainless construction and thick bottom are fine, but you'll just wind up removing them before the beans are warm, when the plastic handles begin to smell.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:55:39 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What Not To Do (Pt.1)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Other "excitement" in the photo:

1) First use of charcoal holders/indirect cooking. Thin chick boneless tenderloins turned out OK. Later I rotated the grill to hit them with more heat but that wasn't really needed and therefore not helpful.

2) First time using lump charcoal (with a few leftover MatchLights; chimney was about half-filled) DO LIKE.

3) First time using drip pans (small, from grocery store and there are two which filled up the bottom area nicely. Is there a better way to source these pans?) I wasn't saucing the chicken on the grill, and they certainly didn't have a lot of fat, so the pans were probably more for show?

4) The wrapped jalepeņos look weird because that's turkey bacon, not the real thing.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Other "excitement" in the photo:

1) First use of charcoal holders/indirect cooking. Thin chick boneless tenderloins turned out OK. Later I rotated the grill to hit them with more heat but that wasn't really needed and therefore not helpful.

2) First time using lump charcoal (with a few leftover MatchLights; chimney was about half-filled) DO LIKE.

3) First time using drip pans (small, from grocery store and there are two which filled up the bottom area nicely. Is there a better way to source these pans?) I wasn't saucing the chicken on the grill, and they certainly didn't have a lot of fat, so the pans were probably more for show?

4) The wrapped jalepeņos look weird because that's turkey bacon, not the real thing.
Might want to keep the "Matchlight" to your self ;D  For drip pans, i do what you do and look for the pans in the size i need.  Other than that it all looks good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
What Not To Do (Pt.1)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
Ok I must admit I keep a bag of match light. The reason is that when I run out of paraffin cubes I will use one piece as my starter for my chimney.

P.S. twist the pans so as the handles are out side the grill but don't hit them it makes a mess

P.P.S good looking cook!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
I used a Corningware casserole in my little smoker once.  ::) It took a lot of scrubbing to remove the smoke film. I use cast iron now and it works great!

Match Lights? Paraffin? I tear up charcoal bags and use them with my charcoal chimney to light charcoal. (Still waiting for that replacement burner for my Performer.)
kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
The good part about the OP is the numerous times I read the word "first"
Ya gotta start somewhere - we all did.  You'll learn as you go and jumping in feet first is the best way I know how.
As long as you didn't get sick - it's still a success.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
Thanks. The Match Lights were a desperation purchase a few weeks ago before I bought my chimney and I'd refused to buy lighter fluid. I thought about turning the handles out but then I couldn't use the lid, or at least properly.

I do have a box now of the paraffin cubes and they are great. I may source some paraffin slabs (used for making candles) and cut them up.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:00 AM »
Any chance you have a gas grill with a side burner?  Works amazingly well for lighting a chimney of charcoal.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:00:48 AM »
I'd refused to buy lighter fluid.

I do have a box now of the paraffin cubes and they are great. I may source some paraffin slabs (used for making candles) and cut them up.
Weber Chimney, paraffin cubes....THE BEST!! No ash blowing around from newspaper embers and certainly no Craplight or lighter fluid. Full disclosure: I started with lighter fluid and Craplight.... we all started somewhere.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »

I'll get drip pans from the dollar store, but be careful, sometimes it's not as good a deal as the regular grocery.............

Sam's club & the bigger restaurant supply places have good deals on full, half & 1/4 "hotel pans".........good for drip beans, smoked mac 'n' cheese, etc.
A full size won't quite fit on a 22-1/2" kettle, but you can bend the corners up a small bit & squeeze it in......

A+ refusing to buy starter fluid, friends don't let friends cook with gasoline......

Looks like you're already in trouble with the wife.....might as well go out & grab a bunch of kettles & drive off the cliff like the rest of us......... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
What Not To Do (Pt.1)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
For heating up small pots of beans or making some bbq/mopping sauce these are great.

I have 4 of these-they are cheap (8-9) bucks, and you can find them at Marshall's, Target, and the like. I just use my insulated gloves to move them around.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
I make my own drip pans out of aluminum foil-- a doubled over piece of it, then bend up the sides and crimp the corners together.  It won't hold water, but it does a good job of holding drippings/grease.  And you can make then in any custom size you need, especially if you get the wider aluminum foil. 

I also have an old 9 X 13 aluminum brownie pan that I have rescued from the kitchen for use for a drip pan.  Just wrap it in aluminum foil to save on scrubbing. 
One of the charcoal people.