Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to PREVENT 26er wobbly-leg syndrome? Going to buy a new one.  (Read 3068 times)

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
I've been overdoing it lately, but have always planned to acquire a 26er.   I've read up and done a fair amount trying to accurately search the forums for insight on the wobbly leg issue.  I've got a friend that was going to donate me one... but I went and took a look, and it is in such bad shape that I'll pass.  Significant rust outside, including holes in the bowl, and a pretty significant perpetual tilt from wobbly leg syndrome.  Just too much of a project.  Primarily, the holes in the kettle make it a non-starter.

I am about to go buy one of these new... particularly because the warranty seems to make sense for this particular model.

I've read posts that say "simply don't move it"... which I won't be able to do.  I store my grills in the garage, and roll them out to the driveway for use.  While it is a fairly smooth transition, there is a little concrete bump/lip at the garage (nothing major, but it is there).  So, there will be rolling and moving, with a little bump, every time.

I've read about using pipe (or dowels) inside.  I've seen the carts and such that have been created... and I probably won't bother to build until/unless I have some failure.  (Like the idea of the smallest footprint possible.)

I'm going to buy new, and perhaps I'll simply hope for the best (and keep my warranty info handy). 

Perhaps the new spring loaded legs make a difference?  I don't see that as too likely of a solution... considering many of the failures seem related to the weld points on the leg receptacles, or the receptacles themselves.

Anyone have any great ideas for pre-emptive reinforcement?  I'm toying with the idea of somehow spanning the legs with something solid, and joining all three together for an more inflexible and unified tripod?  I don't necessarily want it to be unsightly... but I'd rather have functional and "no worry" use.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to PREVENT 26er wobbly-leg syndrome? Going to buy a new one.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
You can strengthen the legs but not the leg sockets. Ultimately the sockets are the weakest link for such a large and heavy kettle.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:24:03 AM »
Make a Mini Ranch and never look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 03:58:10 AM »
Like @Jules V. said, the leg socket is the weakness not the legs themselves , my AD 26er has arthritis and acts drunk most of the time but has never failed me on a cook, Tami says it acts like it's owner LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 04:58:53 AM »
The cobbled-together 26er will be acquired shortly, with thanks to members GrillGiant and michaelmilitello (and a non-member buddy with an ol' rusted out 26er with parts that will be cannibalized).

When the kettle gets wobbly... I think I'll build a frame for the newer "Performer Silver" type setup with a single folding side-shelf... using components sold here: 

https://eztube.com/

Hoping to make something pretty cool with no welding, because I... don't weld.  Looks like using some corner connectors, tubing, and folding shelf brackets (from amazon or somewhere) it could be done, and would be pretty neat.  Probably won't be terribly cost-effective... but we'll see.

I'll just hope the legs don't wobble anytime soon.  (While subconsciously hoping that the legs wobble soon so I can justify the time and $$$ for a cool cart project!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:01:21 AM by baglorious »

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 05:38:02 AM »
Like @Jules V. said, the leg socket is the weakness not the legs themselves , my AD 26er has arthritis and acts drunk most of the time but has never failed me on a cook, Tami says it acts like it's owner LOL

That made me laugh out loud!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »

Whenever I move my newer (taco handle) 26", I find doing it in two steps makes the move easier and safer. A lot of the weight is in the lid.  I carry the lid to where the kettle needs to be moved to, then roll the rest of the kettle there. I have not experienced wobbly-legs on mine.  I worry more about the bowl handle eventually breaking off trying to support all the weight of the lid, cooking grate and bowl.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 08:47:41 AM »

Whenever I move my newer (taco handle) 26", I find doing it in two steps makes the move easier and safer. A lot of the weight is in the lid.  I carry the lid to where the kettle needs to be moved to, then roll the rest of the kettle there. I have not experienced wobbly-legs on mine.  I worry more about the bowl handle eventually breaking off trying to support all the weight of the lid, cooking grate and bowl.
Good idea, except I broke my front handle off several years ago at the beach LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
My 26" is only a few years old. Is this something the newer models suffer from as well? The only thing I noticed is when I assembled mine the non-wheeled leg was lang and had to be trimmed. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
My 26" is only a few years old. Is this something the newer models suffer from as well? The only thing I noticed is when I assembled mine the non-wheeled leg was lang and had to be trimmed.
I believe a lot of the newer ones had the legs sockets welded to the bowl in the wrong position. Usually they lean back. Weber corrects this by setting replacement bowls out instead of sending a shorter leg out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Are you saying I should contact weber and ask for a new bowl?

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »
It's up to you. If you explain how you corrected the problem they may send you a bowl and a leg. Their customer service is second to  none.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Well I wouldn’t mind getting a new bowl and leg out of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
Now that you mention it iv'e noticed the ash catcher doesn't seem to hang quite right. Something I should know there?

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 12:58:56 AM »
Yep, do it. I have an AD which was out of level and I received from Weber new bowl and legs (those with pins).