Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a couple kettles today part 1  (Read 1623 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Picked up a couple kettles today part 1
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
So first thing in the morning I do my usual browsing for kettles. I saw this and messaged the lady selling it. I just got into Weber kettles and about all I know is that it's one of Weber's early attempts at gas grills. Anybody have more info on these? My google search hasn't come up with much.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked up a couple kettles today part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:58 AM »
[emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
I grew up eating dinners cooked on one.  There’s a reason why they made the genesis.   That said, they’re not common to see anymore and might add some variety to a kettle collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
I'm not big on gas grilling any way, but if I can cook up a half decent burger or hot dogs for my kids during the week when time is limited then I'll be happy.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
That’s the “heavy metal” version. That’s my name for it because of the base.

The knobs are there, so that’s a good sign.

Make sure the deflector inside is intact. It’s a good little gasser for fun, if the price is right for you.

The venting is handled by four standoff’s on the lid. Uses lava rocks.

There are some posts in here about them. There was one more iteration of these before the Genesis.
Dude, relax your chicken.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
That’s the “heavy metal” version. That’s my name for it because of the base.

The knobs are there, so that’s a good sign.

Make sure the deflector inside is intact. It’s a good little gasser for fun, if the price is right for you.

The venting is handled by four standoff’s on the lid. Uses lava rocks.

There are some posts in here about them. There was one more iteration of these before the Genesis.

It looks to be complete, other than the grates being rusted out it was in good condition. I just need to get me some lava rocks before I give it a go!

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »

The venting is handled by four standoff’s on the lid.

The lid on this one only has 3 and look evenly set apart. Is it possible there was a version with 3 instead of 4?

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 04:51:27 AM »
The more I tinker with it the more I'm liking this gas kettle. I know this gas kettle isn't the most popular Weber product, but I honestly think it was ahead of its time. I got to thinking last night that the GBS grate and accessories would be perfect for this kettle. The burner would sit directly under the center of the grate thus providing perfect temp control for the griddle and then you could set it to indirect flame and grill up meats on the outer perimeter of the grill grate. I would love to be able to coook outside on hot days since I don't have central air at home and the kitchen is unbearable on hot days and this is the perfect setup in my opinion. Plus it's portable, so days at the park or camping trips would be a breeze! Now I can't wait to get the GBS and the griddle to start cooking up some breakfast on it!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:31:02 AM »
Once you get some lava rocks on the bottom grate you will like it even more
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 06:38:48 AM »
Sorry, yes, three standoffs - mine were missing (pulled off) for some strange reason.

I always thought the Direct and Indirect cooking was a great idea!

Check the link below to see it in action, at the park.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/the-weber-go-anywhere/msg43986/#msg43986

I also used it as training wheels for my Weber wok and Manturion griddle.

Search the site, you'll find more posts about these gassers.

Have fun with it!

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
I'm thinking of getting the GBS grate and the griddle this week so I can start using it ASAP. So I need some opinions: if I plan on keeping the griddle in the GBS grate do you guys think I could skip the lava rocks? I'm thinking this is going to be primarily used as my outdoor stove for quick cooks like bacon, eggs, pancakes etc. No direct grilling like steaks and such, so I'm thinking the lava rocks wont really be necessary. Any thoughts?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »
If you’re just using a griddle (or wok) all the time, I don’t see a need for rocks.

If you have an old grate and a large CI pan, or an aluminum or CI griddle laying around, you can maybe try that first, before investing in a GBS system.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
I'd love a nice big SS griddle to throw on top. I have cast iron griddles and pans that I use on the stove, but I don't want to go that route because I don't want to fiddle with my existing cookware sliding around on the grill grate. I may give it a go just to see what it's like, but I'm pretty sure I want to get the GBS anyway. Thanks for the input!