Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wobbly legs fix?  (Read 2940 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Wobbly legs fix?
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
On my new to me, EZ date code daisy wheel grill, the legs are, hmmmm. Wobbly at best.

I am trying to come up with a good way to snug them up.

I was considering maybe a wrap or two of HVAC aluminum tape to suck up some space until they are snug,. Or even drilling and installing some $10 self tapping machine screws.

I just don't want my grill wiggling while I am cooking...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

JayyyR

• Smokey Joe
Re: Wobbly legs fix?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Seen somewhere on here you slice a can open and take some of the flat aluminum and wrap it around the leg and put it back in the socket. Should snug it up well. Drilling would be a last resort for me unless the kettle is completely roached.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
You might try the broom fix- carefully insert broom handle in leg opening to attempt to slightly flare leg end for snugger fit.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
The "broom fix" was what I had in mind to make the center leg tip round again.... Hand't occurred to be to flare it out any. Kind of exhaust pipe fit it... Makes sense.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
I’ve tried two approaches.  Switching the rear legs from  one side to the other sometimes help since the friction socket indention is in a different orientation.  Also, I’ve cut an aluminum can to the size of the socket to use as a shim inside the socket.  This worked well.   Depending on how vintage or important the kettle is to you, I’d probably not break out the drill.  If you do, buy a new bit.  Alternatively, you could just swap out for new legs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
I wouldn’t drill into a Kettle ever. I had a black with tapped screws in the leg sockets and it was inviting more rust.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
I’ve added screws to one kettle for this issue.  I instantly regretted it.  I’d try alternative methods first.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
I wouldn’t drill into a Kettle ever. I had a black with tapped screws in the leg sockets and it was inviting more rust.

Too late... Already drilled lids for thermometers. Gotta get some VHT Gloss Black engine paint for these things! You are not wrong though. However, how quickly will the rust beast appear considering 2 things.

#!. The EZ code is 20 years old already, has several spots where the finish is broken down to bare metal. Again, need VHT engine enamel to fix.
#2. Once cooled off fully, they get pulled into the garage. Part of the reason for going with a Weber, or any kettle, over a larger New Braunfels type smoker / grill is portability. I NEED to be able to get it in / out of the garage.

The drill holes for hte thermometers are pretty easy. Just clean the drill hole up a bit with a metal file. Clean up with surrounding area with degreaser and alcohol so you have a very, VERY clean surface to adhere to. scuff lightly with 400 grit, clean again and it it with some VHT Gloss engine enamel. Let it cure, reassemble... The temps won't get high enough, long enough to be a problem for the VHT.

Per the Weber documentaiton, and Website, by design, the Weber kettle will get at max the same temp range as VHT is designed for. And let's face it, I don't know about you, but I don't cook full out on my kettle.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
How wobbly are we talking about here and under what conditions?  Any and all of my kettles wobble like crazy if I'm grabbing a grill brush to scrub down the grates hard before I start a fire and cook.  Put your body weight behind it and they wobble.  But thats never been an issue or a concern while cooking. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Wobble like, when I go to turn a burger it moves. I know it is pretty common on these, but IMHO, I would think these should be tight, not wobbly... Other knock off brands are tight, and I have been around enough tight legged Webers to know it is possible. My Jumbo Joe Premium for example, the legs deflect / flex some, but not wobble like this does. Like there is 1 - 2 mm slop in the socket. The front leg tries falling out when the grill is moved etc...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
Wobble like, when I go to turn a burger it moves. I know it is pretty common on these, but IMHO, I would think these should be tight, not wobbly... Other knock off brands are tight, and I have been around enough tight legged Webers to know it is possible. My Jumbo Joe Premium for example, the legs deflect / flex some, but not wobble like this does. Like there is 1 - 2 mm slop in the socket. The front leg tries falling out when the grill is moved etc...
Has it been assembled and reassembled multiple times?

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
The aluminum hvac tape is my go to...works great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
Has it been assembled and reassembled multiple times?

Just got it used. Not sure but i assume so....

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/WSlLg-tAQPs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Wath my video, i used an offset legsocket for demonstrate.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:49:58 PM by Bertl »

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
Wobbly legs fix?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
I also use the from @Bertl described method with the offset wrench and normally it works just perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan