Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18” WSM Hanging Ribs technique, tricks, and tips wanted  (Read 1736 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
18” WSM Hanging Ribs technique, tricks, and tips wanted
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
im going to hang some St. Louis ribs this weekend in my 18 WSM. I have the Weber hanging accessory and Gateway hooks.

Any tips on how to do this?

What temp?  300F?

Charcoal config? Lit Chimney on top of unlit?  Minion?  Snake?  Soo donut?

How long does it take?

Do they overcook near the coals?  Do the need to be turned over half way through?

Any Rub/marinade/saucing tips?

Any hanging tips?  Is there a danger of ribs ripping and falling off hooks?

Thx.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:24:55 AM by ClubChapin »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: 18” WSM Hanging Ribs technique, tricks, and tips wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
i dont hang..but i do smoke ribs without any bowl/heat deflector....

temp...is prefer to smoke pork ribs hot...300 degree range

i fire up a ssp towards the end and sear the racks on the ssp to add a nice sear to finish the cook

for any wsm smokes..i simply dump charcoal briqs into a pile and scoop out a little from center and dump 1/2 dozen coals ...works everytime

ive never snaked or stacked briqs a certain way in the wsm..i dont think its required in a wsm

good luck....wsm cooks are hard to mess up
Grills

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Re: 18” WSM Hanging Ribs technique, tricks, and tips wanted
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
I'm a hanger, in part due to the real estate available on the 18" WSM. I use a temp controller to dial in 250F. The WSM would be easy enough to keep within 10F or so without a temp controller but I like gadgets. My lighting method is based on some Malcom Reed videos. He just throws two paraffin cubes into a basket of unlit charcoal and lights them up. Preferred smoke wood is placed on top. Wait until paraffin burns out before adding anything you're going to stick in your pie hole. No bowl or anything else between the ribs and the fire. I like the flavor of hot-and-fast open fire ribs but prefer the tenderness of low and slow. The rib drippings on live fire simulate a little of that hot-and-fast flavor.

I hang the ribs two bones from the end. Baby backs get 3 hours, spares 4. I foil after that for about an hour but I adjust that time depending on how tender the ribs are before going in to the foil. After their time in the foil, they're back on the grates (they're much smaller now, I can fit 4 racks of BB, 3 racks of spares). I use a small saucier to reduce the juices from the foil and apply to the ribs as a glaze. They spend no more than another 60 more minutes on the racks. The bend test is my tried and true method to tell when the ribs are done. Probes and instant read thermopens are nice but ribs work better on feel.

No issues with the bottom ends being more done than the tops. In fact, I've had more consistency with this method than using my kettle where the ribs lay flat. I think sauce and spice is personal preference but since you asked:

Rub: 1:1 dark brown sugar and old bay
In the foil: 1/2 stick butter, 2 T honey, 2 T dark brown sugar
I like a final shake of rub over the top at the very end to cut the sweet. I use whatever salt-forward rub I have around. Old Bay, Salt Lick, etc.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:04:38 PM by powermatt99 »