Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Back To My Roots (1st Post)  (Read 608 times)

Webby

• Smokey Joe
Back To My Roots (1st Post)
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »
Hello folks!

I introduced myself in the proper forum, but in case you didn't see it - After 30+ years of wasting good meat on a gas grill, tonight I bought myself a pretty black Original Kettle grill like I has so many years ago.

I've spent some time here getting familiar with all the cool accessories they make now. I was actually shocked at what is available.

Anyway. I just got it put together (Damn that was easy!) and plan on using it this weekend.

So far all I have bought is a cover, a set of charcoal pans, some drip pans and a side rack to hang utensils.

I hate to rehash things I'm sure you've answered many times before, but I am too lazy to read 100's of posts looking for the answers  ;)

So here goes, and thanks in advance...

1. I am looking for a good "budget" thermometer to install on the lid. I do know to mount it close to the vets on the lid.

2. Somewhere on here I read that there is an ash bucket mod. I think it was a galvanized bucket that was somehow mounted. I can not find that now for the life of me.

3. Is there a side shelf set up/mod available?

4. I've seen on Amazon a lid hinge, but it was around $60!! There has to be a cheaper alternative right?

Again, thanks and happy grillin' !!

Webby

• Smokey Joe
Re: Back To My Roots (1st Post)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
Forgot to add.

Do I need to "break-in" the grill or the cooking grates before I slap any meat on?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »

Weber recommends washing your cooking grate with soap and water prior to initial use.  Then just heat a chimney of briquettes, dump them in your charcoal baskets and let the kettle heat for at least 10 minutes.  That will burn off any residual oils on the baskets and charcoal grates. 

Here is a link to adding an ash bucket to your kettle.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

I would recommend purchasing a Thermoworks Smoke and foregoing installing a lid therm.  Grate temperatures are more useful than lid temperature readings IMHO.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14vR1JrM3AIVQZRpCh30zwfvEAAYASABEgLcZ_D_BwE

Rather than drilling into your kettle, I would recommend buying a Weber Slide Aside lid holder part #8411 ($24.80). They fit 28" and 22" kettles. They can be ordered directly through Weber 1-800-446-1071.

On a 18"

On a 22"

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:58:42 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Webby

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
Very nice!  Thanks for your recommendations, and i will certainly look into them! 

Looks like you have a rainbow going there

-Jake