Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My bbq area roof project.  (Read 4106 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
My bbq area roof project.
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »
I’m excited about this. I’ve been thinking about covering my area for a long time. Ive decided to use 4x4 treated posts, 2x6 cedar beams, 2x4 cedar rafters, 1x4 cedar horizontal slats to anchor the metal roofing and a 1x4 cedar horizontal privacy wall in the back. The picture is looking towards my neighbor. The roof will have a 1/12 pitch towards the neighbor and will co under the existing overhang by a foot. All sides of the the roof will have a 1’ over hang. It’s 8’ between posts but with the overhang will be 10x10 under roof. Not huge but along with the private wall will give a lot of shade and cover from the rain and snow. I wanted to cover the entire area but the wife didn’t want to see a roof out of her kitchen window so that’s why it’s only half the area. It will basically look like a cedar pergola with a slight pitch and metal roof. I have nine feet to the existing gutter so my front beam will still be above 8’. I really struggled with ideas. What do you guys think?  Does that sound like it will work?

Three posts are in and I’m anchoring one to the concrete. It will not be attached to the house. My overhang is funky so I didn’t want to get into that. I’ll build a bar to incorporate the post on the concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:52:23 PM by HoosierKettle »

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: My bbq area roof project.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
You will love it. The main advice I can give is make it bigger than you think you need if you get the ok. I’ll take some pics of mine tomorrow and post them. It’s pretty similar in size you yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:34:49 AM »
Looks like a great start!
I'm working on mine too, the metal for the roofing should be here on Tuesday!
Keep us posted

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Here’s a few pics of mine. It’s a mess now but look past that part. 15’x15’ at the corner posts. I have an architect friend who drew it up and made it legal to pass local codes. The last one is a pano, not sure how it will show here.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »
@Rub: Very cool! I like it!

Best regards,
Jan

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
Very nice rub. Mine is smaller but I think we will enjoy it. It’s starting to take shape. @WNC take some pictures.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »

Very nice rub. Mine is smaller but I think we will enjoy it. It’s starting to take shape. @WNC take some pictures.

Here's the one I've got so far.
It'll get a metal roof over the left side and then the regular pergola cross bits on the right

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »

Here's the one I've got so far.
It'll get a metal roof over the left side and then the regular pergola cross bits on the right

Nice!  I wish my house had a good spot to mount to like that. That’s going to be really nice.  It’s a lot beefier than my design. I’m really testing the limits of what is minimally required. I was trying to save head room.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
Those are looking great guys. I like your cedar @HoosierKettle .

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »

I’m 8’ to the roof.  Should I avoid lighting a chimney under it or do you see any issues grilling there?

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

With your metal roof and concrete slab you should be fine. One thing I did you might check out is to hang 2 fans up to blow the smoke out from under the roof. If you look closely on my pano shot you can see the one on the left. The other goes on the right but I took it down for something.

I’m 8’ to the roof.  Should I avoid lighting a chimney under it or do you see any issues grilling there?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »

With your metal roof and concrete slab you should be fine. One thing I did you might check out is to hang 2 fans up to blow the smoke out from under the roof. If you look closely on my pano shot you can see the one on the left. The other goes on the right but I took it down for something.

I was already eyeballing similar fans at tractor supply [emoji106]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 05:07:11 AM »
Wow @Rub that's awesome.

Good Luck @HoosierKettle and @WNC  !
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
Got the frame done.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 02:36:33 PM »
Nice! That’s a fun project.