Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How much do you use your Q?  (Read 17972 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
How much do you use your Q?
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
I have a Q300 that I picked up last year for $40, which was an awesome deal, but aside from hot dogs, I don’t find myself using it much.  I like it well enough, but I just don’t LOVE it, ya know?

Granted, I also have a Summit S620, a first generation Genesis, many Kettles and a Kamado Joe that has grown to be my workhorse.  I’ve seen some cool things of Fire Escape Griller on YT and I get it, because he has no other options, but to me, I don’t get the same sense of control nor the inherent flexibility with the Q that I get with the other options.  I can even see buying a 1200 to keep in the trunk for the beach, but with size of the 300/3000 and it’s price point when new, I don’t see why anyone would choose the Q over a comparably priced Spirit.

I genuinely enjoy cooking outside and enjoy lots of options, but I think the Q may end up being my first flip.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:30:42 PM by WhaleinaTeardrop »

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Re: How much do you use your Q?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
Flip it and get the Baby Q.  By far the star of the Q line up. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
I have a Q3200 that I bought a few years ago. I think it has great grilling capabilities with steaks and hamburgers, etc.. Being able to turn the center burner on/off gives you nice control and with the center burner off it does nice indirect grilling. I also like to use the weber roasting rack with a foil tray for indirect grilling, it gives good results. Not sure if they still sell the rack and foil tray anymore, but you can use your own roasting rack and foil. The large q is a little different than a Spirit. What you do not get is side burner and rotisserie. In my view the large Q is a great second grill. But to honest the longer I have it the more I use it over my traditional gasser. I also agree the Baby Q is great. But the kettle is gourmet grilling.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »
Just sold a Q1200 which I thought would work out good for camping and the beach but discovered I really like the go-anywhere better for that. I also discovered I could bring both the gas go-anywhere and the charcoal ga at the same time on a trip and the footprint is not too much different in the car then one Q.  First choice is always to use charcoal but sometimes it won’t work out where we’re at and need to use the gas ga so it’s good to have both. Also had a Q3200 but could never get it into the rotation at home with my other BBQ’s and sold it. Guess I’m now Q-less.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
WhaleinaTeardrop I could have written that, and I think I did a few years ago. Just couldn't get into it, even though it was the only grill I could position just outside the kitchen.

I do have a Q1200 today, bought mostly 'cause it was half price and red. I like the fact that it has no pretensions about cooking big meals. Almost wanna buy the accessory cart and cover for it, but that would be I'm taking it seriously. Can't commit just yet.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
Gave my mom the Q300 yesterday and grilled a few hot dogs and brats to show her how to use it.   I chose the Q over the Genesis as I figured there was less chance of either her, her caretaker or my cousin burning the house down

When I pulled into the back, she and my cousin just happened to be working in the yard, so we all sat out on the deck and had a nice lunch outside.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
@WhaleinaTeardrop , I bought a yellow Dewalt logo Q a while back, and just recently had a little affair with it, don't tell my kettles, but I've done burgers, pork tenderloin and chicken breasts just because sometimes I get home from work and don't want deal with coals... You're a good son, I hope mom likes it!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
I use the 1200 for camping, park and beach and at home when I need to fire up a quick cook of sausage, burgers or veg. It’s easy to pack up and put away. I bought it new a few years back and have had no issues with rust or wear. I need to get a WCGA but if I had one I’d still bring this along too.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 05:48:05 AM »
Reading over the above comments I am leaning towards buying a WeberQ 1200 or 2200 to back-up my "WSM 18" Classic", Weber Mastertouch and Weber Smoky Joe.  On some days I feel my 75 Years Old in not wanting to fire-up a charcoal grill in order to grill a steak or two for the wife and I and a small gas grill would fit-the-bill.  Down here in Costa Rica the cost of a new Weber Q 1200 is around $300 and there is never one listed on the Costa Rica Craig List to buy used.

Question,  Does the Weber Q 2200 have more intense heat and use significantly more propane gas than the Weber Q 1200?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:41:40 AM »

I have a 2004 Baby Q. I think it was close to the first year of production for the Q models.  This model has been renamed at least twice since then (Q 100 then the Q 1000).  When they first came out they did not have shelves.  I added shelves to it once they were offered as replacement parts.  My wife uses it nightly to cook vegetables while I cook the proteins on the kettle.  After 14 years, the only thing I have replaced is the burner tube.  Even though they are stainless steel, they still rust and corrode, probably more from acids in marinades and sauces that drip on them.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
@tibas92017  I have both the Q1000 and the Q220.  The smaller Q1000 actually gets hotter and is much more portable.   The 220 stays on the back deck on a cart 95% of the time, it is more cumbersome and heavy but has significantly more cooking space 30%? than the smallest Q.   I use it for most of my weeknight grilling after work.   They both use similar amounts of gas.   A 20lb tank will last a long time hooked to the Q220.  I have also been using it to season my cast iron pans instead of the oven and the tank still goes for 6 months.  I have had the Q220 for 6 years and replace the burner tube every 2 years or so.   Replace the burner tube at the first sign of wear to prevent hot spots on the grate.   I let one go way too long and it burned the seasoning off the grate causing the grate to rust and pit.   The Q1000 is my camping grill but it is handy to take on a day trip or the inlaws to help with supper.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
Went over to Do it Best 2003 when they had ''Weber weekend'' and Weber reps were there. They had this new grill I never seen before called the Q.(2000 Today)
I told the Weber rep.'' Gas comes from your ass, I only cook with wood''.
I would NEVER cook on a gas grill every time anyone in the hood fired one up i stunk up the whole neighbor hood with smells from everything they ever cooked on those lava rock piece of craps.
 He was cooking everything on it, zukes,dogs, and all kinds of veggies. I told him to ''sell'' me one. He showed me all the construction and how drippings don't go onto the burner from the cast ridges on the bottom of the grate.
Bought it retail  $179.
Brought it home and told the wife this is for you(since I never cooked on a gas grill). That didn't last long cause I was cooking everything on it, oh and with smoke also. Made a cart for it from one  the hundreds of those stink ass lava rock grills you see on the curb.
Bought 3200 and sold the Q for $179 13 years later! Also bought a 1200 but sold it a year later.
Just did a pork tenderloin w/JD Oak smoke last night. Did it on the warming rack away from the hot CI grate.
Use it quite often with over 15 years experience cooking on them.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »
@tibas92017  I have both the Q1000 and the Q220.  The smaller Q1000 actually gets hotter and is much more portable.   The 220 stays on the back deck on a cart 95% of the time, it is more cumbersome and heavy but has significantly more cooking space 30%? than the smallest Q.   I use it for most of my weeknight grilling after work.   They both use similar amounts of gas.   A 20lb tank will last a long time hooked to the Q220.  I have also been using it to season my cast iron pans instead of the oven and the tank still goes for 6 months.  I have had the Q220 for 6 years and replace the burner tube every 2 years or so.   Replace the burner tube at the first sign of wear to prevent hot spots on the grate.   I let one go way too long and it burned the seasoning off the grate causing the grate to rust and pit.   The Q1000 is my camping grill but it is handy to take on a day trip or the inlaws to help with supper.

Seth1025: Thanx for this great Post in helping me make the right decision as I am now leaning in buying the Q2200.  For the more demanding cooks I will rely on my Weber 22" Mastertouch Kettle with a SlowN
Sear insert and my WSM 18" "Classic".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:22:23 AM by tibas92017 »

JayyyR

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »
@Poorfolks that post is a good laugh

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
I have a 2200 and I love it! The CI grates do a great job with searing.