Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS vs. the Snake method  (Read 4814 times)

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Re: SnS vs. the Snake method
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
Since getting my SNS, I've been using it for all low and slow cooks on my kettle. I light two paraffin cubes, wait for them to burn out and then dial in my temp before adding the delicious animal parts. It was just as easy to maintain temp as a snake and a bit easier to set up. I typically used a smaller snake before the SNS days because I wasn't as deft at dialing in my temps. Less fuel touching meant it was more forgiving with airflow adjustment (or at least that's what my rationale was). It was perfect for ribs but I needed to add fuel for longer cooks.

Bottom line, I found what worked for me with the hardware I had at the time.

I use an ATC now so it doesn't much matter. FWIW, the ATC gave me a lot longer burn times with the same snake setup than without the ATC. That is a function of the efficiency of an ATC.
@ powermatt99 I'm still green with my regular 1.0 S'nS (has no bottom) but have already noticed the bowl doesn't run as hot compared to a Weber or homemade basket ... my question is, you're loading up the basket, lighting 2 cubes, then after they're dead close everything down a bit?

I think we're all searching for reliable, repeatable setups here, with either smoking or with grilling.

Exactly. SNS 1.0 here too. Even with an ATC, I keep everything open until the cubes are spent. After that cover and close down vents to dial in, or cover and activate ATC. Though not entirely necessary, the beauty of the ATC is that I can do other things besides crush beers while BBQing.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
sigh

i've been wanting to make this video for more than a year. when I saw they published it I was relieved, now I don't need to make the video afterall!

After watching it, I think I still need to make the video. :\

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »

sigh

i've been wanting to make this video for more than a year. when I saw they published it I was relieved, now I don't need to make the video afterall!

After watching it, I think I still need to make the video. :\

Yes for sure. I would like to see what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
It don't take long to fill the lid of a Weber with hot gasses from a bed of lit briquettes. A single Weber basket of lit briquettes is enough to hit smoking temps in my neighborhood. I start a batch of coals in a second kettle and let them ash over and then shut the vents down. I only do this to keep from adding raw KBB to the cook so don't care if they go out prior to adding them. Ash tends to build up in the basket over time and tends to slow the heat, so when the lid comes off I stir to coals gently clearing the ash into the lower kettle where the one touch can manage. I also check the meat and add the ashed over briquettes and wood chunks as needed using tongs. I enjoy looking. Don't mind checking a long cook every 1 to 2 hours. My temperature graphs wouldn't be as linear but seems cook good enough for me. George's kettle is one bad a** cooking machine and covers my looking and not cooking.

Without the ATC I wouldn't expect the SNS temps to be as linear as a snake. A full SNS pretty much has to use the minion set up.

If you don't want the snake to run under the meat you will need to rotate the cooking grate for a long brisket or ribs, and then what about a drip pan? For a Pork butt or a half brisket or short racks of ribs with the drip pan in the center I don't see how you can beat a snake for a set and forget cook in the kettle.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:22:22 PM by TD »

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
Im on Team Snake! Served me well & it doesnt take much to set up...unless you have no hands LOL

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 07:42:58 AM »
Sheesh tough room.  Here are some comments.

1) When I said "physics not magic" it was after demonstrating the exterior walls of the kettle are cooler with the SnS, thus more heat is retained in the cooker, which means more efficiency.  I admit I could have gone into that detail but we were trying to keep the video short.

2) ATC invalidates the test?  This is TOTAL HOGWASH.  I don't even say hogwash... not sure where that came from.  The ATCs guaranteed each kettle was at the same temp the entire cook....  This was an efficiency test... not how easy is it to control temp test. 

3) Should have opened the lid?  If we had opened the lid as needed based on the type of cook then the SnS would have been even farther ahead, because you don't need to open the lid.  With the Snake you're either confined to a small indirect zone or you have to rotate the meat away from the heat as it cooks.

4) Should have used meat?  Bad idea...  There is no way to guarantee two pieces of meat are identical, and the meat would have added no value to an efficiency comparison.

5) I would also point out it was a very hot day/evening....  It was in the high 90s for most of the period the snake was going... about the time it went out the ambient temp had died down to mid 70s, yet the SnS still went another 3+ hours.  On a cooler day the difference would have been even more dramatic.

6) This was a sales pitch?  Of course it was!  HOWEVER, we pitched scientific data, not marketing spin.  And we made the comparison FAIR/FAVORING the snake method.

7) Why didn't they show the kettles after the cook?  There was nothing left but ash.  Kinda boring.

@troymeister would be interested to know what you feel the test is missing.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
SnS vs. the Snake method
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »
I can see how the test was scientific and fair, but  I’m  not sure it’s applicable without controller.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:10:11 AM by HoosierKettle »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
I can see how the test was scientific, I’m  not sure it’s applicable without controller.

Of course it's applicable.  Both methods allow for easy temperature control.  If we hadn't set the controllers, everyone would be accusing us of running the snake hot. 

Seriously, your argument lacks any merit.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
I’d agree with HoosierKettle on the comment about the ATC. My results with the SnS have always had temp spikes as the fuel in the middle of the basket gets going and the initial fuel isn’t completely dead yet.

The snake has been a more constant temp in my cooks without the temp spikes.

I like my SnS but if I really want steady temps I setup a snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Snake once set up properly you really cant go wrong with...long steady cooks...im sure the SnS does a pretty good job also i just comes down to preference.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

troymeister

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
@ABCbarbecue Hi Dave, always nice to hear from you. I don't think your test is missing anything. I believe it was as fair and scientific as humanly possible. I honestly don't know if anything else could be done to make it fairer.

While both methods clearly work for low and slow cooks, the test shows the SnS is far easier, more efficient and offers much more flexibility in regards to any cook. I personally have found the snake method to be awkward and less reliable way to cook. Often the fuse gets broken somehow and the fire dies. Happened to me a couple of times in the days before the SnS.

For several years now I am all in with the SnS!!

Troymeister

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »
Sheesh tough room.  Here are some comments.

1) When I said "physics not magic" it was after demonstrating the exterior walls of the kettle are cooler with the SnS, thus more heat is retained in the cooker, which means more efficiency.  I admit I could have gone into that detail but we were trying to keep the video short.

2) ATC invalidates the test?  This is TOTAL HOGWASH.  I don't even say hogwash... not sure where that came from.  The ATCs guaranteed each kettle was at the same temp the entire cook....  This was an efficiency test... not how easy is it to control temp test. 

3) Should have opened the lid?  If we had opened the lid as needed based on the type of cook then the SnS would have been even farther ahead, because you don't need to open the lid.  With the Snake you're either confined to a small indirect zone or you have to rotate the meat away from the heat as it cooks.

4) Should have used meat?  Bad idea...  There is no way to guarantee two pieces of meat are identical, and the meat would have added no value to an efficiency comparison.

5) I would also point out it was a very hot day/evening....  It was in the high 90s for most of the period the snake was going... about the time it went out the ambient temp had died down to mid 70s, yet the SnS still went another 3+ hours.  On a cooler day the difference would have been even more dramatic.

6) This was a sales pitch?  Of course it was!  HOWEVER, we pitched scientific data, not marketing spin.  And we made the comparison FAIR/FAVORING the snake method.

7) Why didn't they show the kettles after the cook?  There was nothing left but ash.  Kinda boring.

@troymeister would be interested to know what you feel the test is missing.

He said “hogwash”[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Physicists would want to know whether the snake in the test was running clockwise or counterclockwise, and whether the coals were lit right to left or left to right in the SnS. God forbid you had the snake running counterclockwise and the SnS right to left at the same time. That could cause a space-time rift the likes of which the world has never seen!

I am not a Physicist, although I had a cyst on my fist a while back. I have used snakes running both directions. I have used my own version of a SnS, and wish I had the real deal. (My birthday is coming up a week from Wednesday, hopefully my wife got the hint. Well, more like "get me this exact thing for my birthday!") I love everything about the real deal; well-made, more real estate, higher temps possible for longer periods of time, easier cleanup, etc. Paired with the custom SS grate (I already have the 26er version, but would love a 22.5 too) it's a perfect grilling combo.

I don't think there's a BBQ video out there that this crew has not blown apart with criticism and skepticism. How many of these skeptics have built their own shit, tested it, manufactured it, marketed it, made a business of it and otherwise advanced the hobby? N=0.  I'm not even sure it matters that it be compared to the snake at all. That's like comparing a funny car to a Pike's Peak hill climber. (But for the record the funny car would kick the Pikes Peak car's ass.)

Thanks for making your own shit @ABCbarbecue .

Marty
Retired

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 04:03:39 PM »
@ABCbarbecue Hi Dave, always nice to hear from you. I don't think your test is missing anything. I believe it was as fair and scientific as humanly possible. I honestly don't know if anything else could be done to make it fairer.

While both methods clearly work for low and slow cooks, the test shows the SnS is far easier, more efficient and offers much more flexibility in regards to any cook. I personally have found the snake method to be awkward and less reliable way to cook. Often the fuse gets broken somehow and the fire dies. Happened to me a couple of times in the days before the SnS.

For several years now I am all in with the SnS!!

Troymeister

Best first post ever

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
SnS vs. the Snake method
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »
Deleted by poster.

Dave, @ABCbarbecue .. Great Product! Thank You.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:39:15 AM by vwengguy »