Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New kettle head!  (Read 1084 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
New kettle head!
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
Hey peeps!

So I just bought my first Weber kettle back in May of this year on a whim. My wife had stated when we got married that she wanted a Weber grill. A couple things prevented that from happening. Neither one of us was a very good cook when we first got married, and I always was of the mindset of "a grill is a grill" and I could always find a cheaper grill than a "plain old" $100 Weber. Well I had a few of these cheapo grills over the years and none ever lasted for long (go figure!). My cooking skills improved over the years and now that I have obtained a kettle they are even better!

I purchased an 18" OTS and converted it to OTG, added a big temp gauge and added magnetic hooks for my tongs and what not. Everything was great for a couple months and then I got to thinking if I wanted to make ribs, a brisket, or cook for more than just my family of four, I would need a bigger grill. It was at this point I became a kettle head. I picked up a used 22" thinking I could have an 18" for every day use and the 22" for bigger meats or parties. My plan was to deck them out with all the same gear so they could be twins, but the kettle I picked up turned out to be green and would not match my 18" kettle. Then I thought I could just get rid of this green one and find a black 22", besides, who needs 3 grills??? Well I got the green kettle cleaned up and it started to grow on me. It is nice!

Fast forward a couple more weeks and I found a matching black 22" kettle. So in a matter of weeks I went from no Weber kettles to 3 Weber kettles! 

I live in Elgin, Illinois and I'm thinking of checking out the meet up in August!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:26:53 AM by avega2792 »

Italian Stallion

• Smokey Joe
Re: New kettle head!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »
Nice collection there.   Happy grilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
Sweet!  I'm from one to four all of a sudden (and a gas grill with grillgrates).  I'd like to see the green one!

I'm from NW Indiana.  Perhaps someday, when we're both absurdly equipped... we'll meet up and swap, lol.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Hello and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.  There is a WKC term for what you have described  ...  "Weberitis".   Yes they can grow on you, soon they seem to be saying  ...  you need a dedicated one for Pizza, and another for Stir Fry, and another because it's red, and another just because you have the room, and on, and on, and on ....

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:26:51 AM »
Welcome from the Lou!! (STL)

3 kettles is a "good" start... :) 

So... just how big is your patio?? LOL...

Your addiction awaits....

Pull up a chair!!

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:07:21 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, everybody. Glad to have found this place and to make your acquaintances.

Oh yeah, I definitely caught me a case of Weberitis. I don't have a huge yard or patio, but I could squeeze in one or two more kettles if I find the right ones ;) You better believe when I move I'll be looking for a place with a bigger back yard because I definitely want to get a Ranch one day!

Have a grate day, everybody, and a Weber weekend!