Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Wok  (Read 1637 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Wok
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »
I think a lot of rusty CI is cleaned with electrolysis bath. I haven’t done it, but I don’t think it is difficult. When I had some CI to clean, I found a local collector to do it for me in exchange for some pulled pork.

http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
If it were me, I'd bead blast/sand blast it, clean it and oil it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
Awesome find. Good luck on the restore. I would sandblast as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
Congrats on your pickup! I love my vintage wok!

When I brought mine back to life, I didn't have a big enough container to give it a vinegar or Evaporust bath. Same problem with doing electrolysis.  Instead of spending the money to have it bead/sand/soda blasted, I picked up a couple of polycarbide abrasive wheels from Harbor Freight... an hour or so later, it was rust free and ready to be seasoned.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
I've had very good luck cleaning up cast iron cookware by soaking it in aerosol oven cleaner and placing the whole thing in a black trash bag out in the sun (heat helps).  I usually "soak" like this overnight and all the dirt and gunk and crud typically comes right off.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!