Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Performer Buying Help  (Read 826 times)

andrewrmunro

• Happy Cooker
Weber Performer Buying Help
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
Found a Weber Performer in my area for $225 CAD. Just for context they sell for $449.99 CAD plus tax which would bring the total price to $500 CAD. So $225 all in is under half the price of a new one.

I don't know much about these things. Can someone let me know what you think of it? Are there any reasons why I shouldn't buy this used grill and opt for a brand new one?

Looking forward to getting into grilling, thanks for the help!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber Performer Buying Help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
Sounds expensive to me (and I'd surely never pay the price they want for a new one....in any country).  I'm not sure what the Canadian market is like for used performers....but I'm thinking I'd pass on that one and wait for a better deal to come along.  Its tough to compare the price of this one (2nd generation I believe) to the price of what weber sells the current version for.  But I like to think that a used item like this should fetch maybe 20% of the new asking price if it was in absolute pristine condition.....and I really dont even think I'd pay that much unless it was something really special. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Weber Performer Buying Help
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
If the lid and bowl and ash sweeps are in good shape, I’d rather have that one than a new one. It probably has stainless ash sweeps compared to today’s aluminized steel sweeps that don’t last as long. Can you get a better deal if you keep looking?  Probably, but it depends if you want to be cooking now or continue looking for months. Performers don’t pop up too often in my area. If they pop up often in your area than hold out. If not make an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DoubleD

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
From Canada here . I own a C and B grass green Gen 3 . Great condition and paid 125 CDN $ . Came with Weber cover and chimney. Better deals are out there . I also brokered a deal for a black Gen 3 for a friend with cover for 100 CDN $

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DoubleD

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
Picture below

andrewrmunro

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
That is a great looking BBQ

DoubleD

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
Thanks. Also cleaned this kettle up. Bought it for 30 $ with cover and chimney. I use it as my permanent pizza oven

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
Note:  I'm new to this forum... but have spent the last couple of months obsessively checking Craigslist and FB Marketplace... so I'm pretty good on used pricing in my area at least.

If you're patient... don't buy new.  The real question on the one you've shown is whether that performer is as good of a deal as you can get.  It sounds a bit high to me (but I'm only really able to comment on the Chicago area US market... and simply don't know what kind of volume of used webers you see where you live).

I've seen nice performers go for as low as $60 US (that got snapped up quick), often $100ish, and I just paid $125 for a really desirable stainless steel red mist performer with zero rust.  9-10 condition, only because the stainless top had a few scratches.

The bigger questions I'd have relate to the generation of performer, and more importantly (in my opinion) the top.  The newer ones have a black metal top;  The slightly older ones have a dark grey resin top.  The one you're looking at has the lighter gray top, which often look bad, and are hard to keep decent looking.

IF you're going to pay a normal (or premium used price), be patient, and get some of the features you like.  (Colored kettle?  Newer top?) 

I'd suggest monitoring your market for a while... rather than getting the 'first' one that seems to be a decent deal used.  I doubt this one is a 'steal' that you'll never see again;  It is a common kettle... probably at an average used price.

If it were a  red mist, or the 'perfect' one you'd like to have, perhaps move on it... but it seems like you'll see more like this.

I'd suggest being patient and learning your market.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
Bit too high. You have to remember that the new gen 4 performer comes with a metal table and a larger lid bale which this gen 2 does not come with. Also, if you buy brand new... you get to pick Green, Copper, or Crimsom, and a black.  Just ordering a metal table from Weber cost me @ $100 Canadian for my Gen 2 performer.

I have seen prices even higher here in TO area in Ontario Canada to Mid $100 to free which I missed out on.

Just to give you some idea, my first performer was $100. My C&B green $120, Gen1 SS performer $50, Gen4 $180, C&B Blue $40.  And few others I missed out on including the free one.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »
If you decide to go check it out, bring a new 1lb propane tank to test the gas assist; if it doesn’t work, negotiate the price down.  Good luck with the hunt, and welcome.