Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: who goes camping?  (Read 3122 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: who goes camping?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:52 AM »
I’ve got a white fuel Coleman stove, my Smokey Joes and 18.5 kettles I can take camping. I used to camp all the time in Boy Scouts and will be again now that I have returned to Scouting with my son as the Cubmaster. Looking forward to it!

GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 22.5, 1978-1980 Blue 22 MBH, 1974-78 Lime 18.5 MBH

db130

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
Coleman 2 burner stove and a weber q200 fitted with an old school propane grill regulator where the fitting for the tank can be swapped out.  This one usually rocks the 20 lb tank+qcc1 fitting, but I swapped out the tank fitting to a quick connect to take advantage of a nearly full 5lb ssp tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
So trying to plan a family camping trip.  Its been a number of years since I've been camping; and it turns out that while buying all your camping supplies with group(s) of friends in your late teens and early twenties helps save a few bucks then,  a decade plus later when you plan a family trip you realize you no longer have any gear and no longer speak with all those people from way back when!

So I'll bring along a kettle for sure.  But I'm thinking I might need/want something like a propane go anywhere or maybe something like a coleman camp stove.  Any thoughts or advice on which makes more sense for legit camping purposes?  Any other advice for things I should try to have with me when I go that I might be forgetting?

I feel dirty thinking about using propane for any cooking....its been so long!  But I figure the ability to fire something up instantly and maybe cook on cast iron will surely make the trip more enjoyable for my wife and 2 daughters...hopefully leading to more trips in the future!

....also realize this might not be the proper section for this...whoops
Just returned from 29 days on the road....7500 miles....14 campgrounds....family of 5..... We used a Gas Go Anwhere, with 20 lb. propane tank for grilling & frying.  Anything requiring pots and/or boiling we used a one burner butane stove.....crazy how hot they get and how fast they get hot....they are also really small & inexpensive and really require zero set up.  No matter what you choose, happy camping.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
Wow, now that sounds like a trip! Where did you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
Wow, now that sounds like a trip! Where did you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Actually, 15 campgrounds....

1..South Sandusky Campground, Sesser IL
2. Oliver Reservoir, Bushnell NE
3. Wind River KOA, DuBois WY
4. Colter Bay, Grand Teton WY
5. Grant Village Campground, Yellowstone, WY
6. Beavertail Hill State Park, Clinton MT
7. Riverside State Park, Spokane WA
8. Fay Bainbridge Park, Bainbridge Island, WA
9. Milo McIver State Park, Estacada, OR
10. Farewell Bend State Rec. Area, Huntington, OR
11. Spruces, Big Cottonwood Canyon, UT
12. Camp Lutherwood, Alton, UT
13. North Rim Campground, North Rim Grand Canyon AZ
14. Devils Garden, Arches National Park, Moab, UT
15. Peak One, Frisco, CO

Thread with some pictures can be found in "Off Topic".

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
Okay I am waiting for thing to happen so I can type a bit now...

I am a bit, well I got carried away with camping gear. I have a small / medium collection of stoves, lanterns etc...

They are...

Century single burner propane stove. My Dad bought this for me at a garage sale in the 1980s. Probably early 80s build date.
Early 90s MSR Whisperlite white gas single burner backpacking stove. Kind of heavy by todays backpacking standards, but it works awesome!
Mid 90s Coleman dual mantle propane lantern.
Brinkmann 2 burner stainless steel propane stove (gift I got in 2004)
Coleman 242 Dual Fuel 2 burner stove. I rebuilt this one about 6 months ago after the packing and pump were leaking.
Coleman Dual Fuel lanterns (2, model #s long forgotten). Both the lanterns and stove were bought in 2004.
Coleman Xponent F1 isobutane single burner stove (2005).
Coleman Xponent F1 Lite isobutane single mantle lantern. (2005)
Coleman 2 burner propane "Classic" stove. 2017.
iRegro stainless steel wood gasifier stoves x2.
Several cooking grates etc...

So why all the stoves and lanterns?

I live in Hurricane Alley, and I tend to camp with fairly sizeable groups. (My wife is 1 of 9 kids, and most of her siblings have kids, so we tend to be a BIG group...) And... people seem to give me stoves for some reason...

Honestly, camping with my wife takes up a few levels of complexity, and effort. I like a minimalistic approach. the isobutane stove for backup, a camp fire and a cooking grate for primary use. She likes a camp kitchen, with an easy start propane stove, lanterns big pots and pans etc...

Another example. My favorite tent? My Sierra Designs Sirius 3, 3 person backpacking tent. My wife's favorite? Our Swiss Gear 10x20 3 room tent. Our best compromise and for good reason? My old Colmean Sundome 10x12. It is a dual door model that I shove an AC in the back door to camp in the summer here!

I do tend to, and like to take my Smokey Joe SIlver when I go camping. Especially at the beach. Makes grilling burgers and brats super easy!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.