Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What causes crazing?  (Read 1613 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
What causes crazing?
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Does anyone know for sure? Heat related? Stress? Age?

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: What causes crazing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
General consensus is high heat.  I have to agree with that theory.  I bank coals on my workhorse 26 OT & have had serious crazing since I’ve switched to using lump primarily in it.  Very localized damage on a 9yo kettle.  I imagine that so many older kettles end up crazed because of the shear number of cooks (accumulated heat damage).  Guessing your yellow had a sunken (concaved) charcoal grate from the looks of it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
My opinion is themal shock caused by flare ups and lighter fluid type rapid/sudden heat.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:19:00 PM »
I think the two main causes are banking coals directly against the bowl and grease fires. I had a nice grease fire tonight doing thighs. I’m all out of drip pans.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

toebone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:35:31 PM »
I believe it’s from banking coal, here in Australia most 18’s even in the 90’s were sold with charcoal rails and not baskets.

I’ve had quite a few of both sizes pass through my hands and the 18’s always seem to have more crazing issues then 22’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »
Some good points made. It seems in a lot of the cases with mine the crazing has happened below the line of the charcoal grate. I could definitely see it happening from a sudden temp change like @Hell Fire Grill said. Like cracking a glass from pouring in a hot liquid. Or using water to defrost a windshield.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
Some good points made. It seems in a lot of the cases with mine the crazing has happened below the line of the charcoal grate. I could definitely see it happening from a sudden temp change like @Hell Fire Grill said. Like cracking a glass from pouring in a hot liquid. Or using water to defrost a windshield.

Or the grill being super hot then having cooler meat juice fall on the bowl.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
High heat cooks with the coals banked directly against the bowl.  This is what I did to mine.  Weber still warrantied it!

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
banking coals causes crazing
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 04:16:48 AM »
A lot of times it’s below the coal grate though. Small chunks falling through maybe? But that wouldn’t really amount to high heat like banking.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 05:26:58 AM »
That’s why I’m thinking grease fires and flare ups Rub. I had a nice grease fire the other night and my first thought was this thread.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
What causes crazing?
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 05:39:35 AM »
I have seen some with insane amounts of crazing and still can’t put my finger on what exactly causes it out side of high heat. As we all know .. some colors seem to be the whipping post of the crazing monster. The worst cases I have seen always are the blue kettles? I have seen others but mostly on blue and almost all the blues have pops at the straps. My theory with the grate strap enamel pops are due to the spot weld and the thicker metal in this spot. This extra thick chunk of metal directly touching the charcoal grate conducts more heat and that causes a hot spot.
OR it’s a colder spot and the kettle metal around this weld is hotter ?
Anyways.. crazing in places other than the straps is in my idea caused buy insane temps in combination with cooling from wind.
We have all seen the video from the Weber factory when the enamel is baked on and the kettle is glowing red.. this is baked with an even heat in an oven and that is not a problem.
Proof that the enamel can take the high temps.. but high temps in one place = Crazing
Just my 0.02

Edit:
All that being said.. I still can’t explain the crazing below the charcoal grate all the way down to the air vent holes?
Unless someone once used a whole bottle of starter juice in a epic fail of an attempt to start 8kg of coals for 4 hotdogs.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:06:18 AM by vwengguy »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
Some time ago @Jeff was asking folks for pics of excessively crazed bowls. Maybe he has some input?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:19:04 AM »
I just picked up a blue performer and found the bowl is really badly crazed. So maybe there is something with the blues!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!