Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Fire Pit?  (Read 1729 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Kettle Fire Pit?
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:31:51 PM »
Haven’t seen much talk about this since I joined WKC less than a year ago, but maybe I’ve just missed it. I have a 22 Performer I’ve broken apart to use for a couple different projects.  This bottom bowl does triple duty as a cooker/smoker/fire pit. Tonight it served well in its fire pit duties. Here’s a pic of the final minutes. Just wondering if anyone else has a kettle they use as a fire pit, and what your setups might look like. Happy summer!

-Jed
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:41:35 PM by Jed.cook »
-Jed

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Fire Pit?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
Nice. I’ve been toying around making something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
I used my old SSP bowl and lid.  Got a warranty repair on my Gen2 so the Gen2 lid and bowl went to the SSP and the SSP went to a KFP.  Used an old clothes hamper frame for the legs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Kettle Fire Pit?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:22:03 AM »
Got any pics of the KFP used as a smoker? 

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

Got any pics of the KFP used as a smoker?

This is Walt. Middle section is made from a 55 gal. drum cut down. Lid is from an OTP I picked up on CL & used the legs for my 26er. I’m keeping an eye out for another OTP with a lid in better condition so I can swap them out. This one’s a little beat up.

Still waiting for retaining wall blocks to go on sale at Lowe’s/HD so I can build Walt a proper semi-permanent home. Then I can also figure out a way to mount the igniter for the propane assist since the bowl is from a Performer.

-Jed
-Jed

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
I used to watch a cabin in the country, and behind the house in a bunch of clutter was a new-ish  18" Weber but with no legs. There also was a car wheel rim so I put the kettle in the rim like a ball in a socket. I had a campsite in some sloping pines, and the kettle could pivot to level.

These days I have a 1990 22 and I've made a set of short legs that lower the rim to 21 inches. It's at elbow height when you're sitting in a chair.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
I use a 18 inch jumbo joe as my fire pit.  I got tired of by cheap fire pits at Lowe’s every few years.  The porcelain has held up fine but the charcoal grate has understandably warped. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk