Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are Weber's briquettes made by Royal Oak?  (Read 6978 times)

ABROB

• WKC Brave
Re: Are Weber's briquettes made by Royal Oak?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:50 AM »
Wonder why the royal oak sheets all say "trade secret" and not actually what's in it? 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 05:51:27 AM »
I only know from my limited experiences with both RO (regular, "ridge") and Weber charcoals. They perform vastly different. I struggle to see how the briquet shape and minor size difference accounts for that.

For me, RO is basically smaller KBB that doesn't stink quite as much during startup. The smaller briquets don't (can't ... ) last as long as KBB during a cook. I may give it another try however.

The Weber does seem to require a bit more startup time, but lasts longer, if not also somewhat hotter? And there's no comparison to being able to reuse the Weber briqs.

I'll share a random anecdote. My Tacoma has Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks. OME is an Australian company that sells kickass offload shocks, springs etc. My understanding is that the Nitrochargers are made by Monroe (in Australia) to OME's specs, and there is no Monroe equivalent. Point being, if you throw a manufacturer some cash, they WILL make a custom product for you that's better than what they sell under their own brand name. It happens.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Are Weber's briquettes made by Royal Oak?
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
They perform very different. Ro and Weber. I do think it has a lot to do with size shape and possibly density.  Just a hunch on why

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:54:20 AM by HoosierKettle »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
I got my SDS from Weber this morning. It is different than the one on the Home Depot website. The manufacturer is still Royal Oak but the ingredient list is different. The Royal Oak has 4 ingredients the Weber has 2. There is also nothing listed under carcinogens. Where on the Royal Oak there is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »
Weber SDS

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »
Well there ya go.

Now, what about Stubbs? Or even, the higher-end Kingsford?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »
So I did some research and holy shit, not only are Weber Briquettes made by Royal Oak, but Weber briquettes are the EXACT SAME THING as Royal Oak Ridge briquettes; they’re just pressed into a different shape. I looked through the SDS for ROR and WB, and all of the numbers match exactly. Knowing this, I don’t see why anyone would buy Weber Briquettes for $20 for 20# when you they could buy a 18# ROR bag for $5.

It’s just Marketing.

Maybe some of you knew this already but damn is it news to me!

Weber Briquettes SDS - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/56/564a0876-847c-4380-bad5-637f6f1971fa.pdf

Royal Oak Ridge SDS (Menards) - https://www.menards.com/main/items/media/ROYAL004/SDS/CharcoalSDS.pdf

Embers (Home Depot) - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/56/564a0876-847c-4380-bad5-637f6f1971fa.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Does that mean they are the same? I don't necessarily draw that conclusion. Put another way. If they use the same proprietary binder for every style of briquette, how many different MSD sheets/data sets are needed to explain the chemical makeup of carbon....or wood? Not saying they are or aren't. I'm just saying think about the data objectively from a reporting standpoint.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »

Does that mean they are the same? ...

Nope:

I got my SDS from Weber this morning. It is different than the one on the Home Depot website. The manufacturer is still Royal Oak but the ingredient list is different. The Royal Oak has 4 ingredients the Weber has 2. There is also nothing listed under carcinogens. Where on the Royal Oak there is.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »
Thanks ATS...

I was 20 seconds behind on that post.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
Well in the end I would hope they're not identical considering Weber claims to use no binder and Royal Oak advertises they use cornstarch. 

Now, is it possible that the added binder in the Royal Oak is the only real difference between the two?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
Bottom line:

Same cook
Different recipes

I’d love to see the Stubbs MSDS posted. Still my all time favorite fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
I just sent in a request to Stubbs charcoal for an SDS we'll see what they say.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
Awesome!!
I’m glad Weber’s SDS explains they’re different!
I felt kinda betrayed by Weber there for a second....
I’m glad the recipe is different.
But I’m still not spending $20/bag :)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 09:45:22 PM »
I love the smell of Borax in the morning ...

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".