Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are Weber's briquettes made by Royal Oak?  (Read 6980 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Are Weber's briquettes made by Royal Oak?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »
Royal Oak makes Weber?

If so? Great. RO makes a better product than Kingsford.

Chefs Select
All Natural
Lump
Ridge

I'll take any of those over any Kingsford product.

Kingsford is one of those familiar things for me that's hard to part with (but gets a lot easier everyday).

KBB is valuable for burning out my smokers. Other than that...Nuh uh. No mas! I won't cook with it unless I absolutely have to.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:45:47 PM by Mike in Roseville »

marcuslawson

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
Yes, Royal Oak makes Weber briquettes. I work with a guy who's dad works for Royal Oak. This post made me chuckle because we were just talking about it the other day. Weber's briquettes go through the same drying line/oven as Royal Oak bagged briquettes, so there is a very good chance of getting a few of one or the other in a bag at end of a run.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
Ah, ok. That's what I suspected, some unintentional crossover from multiple products being made on the same line or equipment.

I just dropped the three Royal Oak briquettes I found into a chimney full of them to fire up the Ranch for a load of burgers tonight.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »
If you find a gold one, you get to tour the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
Well, they're mostly carbon, right?  So if I squeeze one really hard, can I turn it into a diamond?

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 07:45:58 PM »

If you find a gold one, you get to tour the factory
HAHAHHHAHA

I’ve never been too impressed with Weber Briquettes as I can’t really tell a difference, except for their price and them being hard as hell to light. However, I’ve heard people rave about Weber briqs because they burn longer and you can reuse partially burnt coals.

In my experience, Ive also been able to reuse RO Ridge on numerous occasions. Now knowing they’re made in the same factory, I bet Weber briquettes have the same formula as RO Ridge and only burn longer because their pillows are larger. Makes perfect sense to me.

It also makes sense cuz sometimes close out prices for Weber are $5/bag. They’re still making money at that price. And that price is ROR’s level. It seems to be simply marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
So I did some research and holy shit, not only are Weber Briquettes made by Royal Oak, but Weber briquettes are the EXACT SAME THING as Royal Oak Ridge briquettes; they’re just pressed into a different shape. I looked through the SDS for ROR and WB, and all of the numbers match exactly. Knowing this, I don’t see why anyone would buy Weber Briquettes for $20 for 20# when you they could buy a 18# ROR bag for $5.

It’s just Marketing.

Maybe some of you knew this already but damn is it news to me!

Weber Briquettes SDS - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/56/564a0876-847c-4380-bad5-637f6f1971fa.pdf

Royal Oak Ridge SDS (Menards) - https://www.menards.com/main/items/media/ROYAL004/SDS/CharcoalSDS.pdf

Embers (Home Depot) - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/56/564a0876-847c-4380-bad5-637f6f1971fa.pdf

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
Good work Schaefd2, From now on I buy RO.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »

Good work Schaefd2, From now on I buy RO.
I mean I could be missing something, but it seems logical to me!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Could be a typo on the home depot website also or a bad link to the SDS. I just emailed Weber and requested a copy of the SDS. If the home depot SDS is right the weber name should be on it somewhere. How else would you match it up in an emergency. It just seems too vague. I will share their response here when I get it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Cellar2ful

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how does the Kingsford SDS compare to Weber and Royal Oak SDS?
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 01:58:23 AM »
Embers is a Royal Oak brand that sells at lower prices. It would not surprise me that it is the same consistency as Royal Oak charcoal. It is unlikely that Weber has a charcoal production facility and it is more likely that the Weber name is used under contract with a major brand that has a huge production capacity. It is also more than likely any company making charcoal would find it more profitable to crunch the same shit into different molds rather than make different blends of shit.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 06:15:55 AM »
All I know is I've pretty much always just used KBB but stocked up on the Royal Oak at Lowes when it was $4/bag.  I've been using since May pretty much exclusively and just ran out.  Opened my first bag of KBB in a long time and I cant believe how much I hate it!  The amount of smoke it generates while starting up is ridiculous.  I cant believe it went un-noticed by me until I used something else for a long time, but wow. 

I thought maybe I was crazy for liking the "cheapo" stuff vs the good ol standby used by pretty much everyone for ages.  But if royal oak/weber being the same can be confirmed that'll pretty much make me want to use royal oak exclusively!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:50:10 PM by lksdrinker »
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »

But if royal oak/weber being the same can be confirmed that'll pretty much make me want to use royal oak exclusively!
I’m already there! Except for Western lump

Could be a typo on the home depot website also or a bad link to the SDS.
Im interested to know if it is a bad link. The supplier is RO, they just put it in different bags and probably, different molds.

Just out of curiosity, how does the Kingsford SDS compare to Weber and Royal Oak SDS?
Kingsford SDS is totally different than Weber/ROR/Embers. For starters, the Supplier is listed as the Clorox company.... I guess that explains the weird smell!!

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/30/306f43cd-104e-4eb8-a56a-b71b7b6bf2b8.pdf

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »

But if royal oak/weber being the same can be confirmed that'll pretty much make me want to use royal oak exclusively!
I’m already there! Except for Western lump

I unfortunately stocked up on quite a few bags of KBB when it was just on sale!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!