Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sort of Short Ribs? How should I cook these?  (Read 780 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Sort of Short Ribs? How should I cook these?
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Picked these up at Sam’s Club a couple days ago. Labeled as short ribs, but they look nothing like any short rib cut I’ve ever seen, boneless or not. More like some kind of ultra-thick “beef bacon.”

I can wait a couple days for when I have time to do low & slow, but I’d like to cook them for dinner tomorrow night. We’ll have a guest over and I will only realistically have a couple hours to cook.

Any & all suggestions welcome.

-Jed
-Jed

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sort of Short Ribs? How should I cook these?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
Those are commonly known as flanken short ribs. Very popular in Asian cooking especially Korean. Just search for Korean kalbi recipe. It is cooked direct over coal using medium heat. You might have to marinate it a full day but cooking time is just few minutes.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:22:30 AM »
We make those all the time. Olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Grill indirect 3-4 minutes then sear 1-2 minutes per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
I've been getting Flanken from a local supermarket lately and am loving it!  If you can find a butcher who will cut em thinner (I think they're called "button steaks" that way) they're supposed to be great!  A buddy keeps buying them and then we basically throw em on the fire and cook as @RumBar suggested......I've been wanting to do a low and slow with them to see if they soften up a bit.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!