Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can someone that's owned both go through the pros/cons of a Q vs Classic Genesis  (Read 2270 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I really love the little Q I picked up off CL, but I also dig the lines of the older Genesis.
Can someone that's owned both break down the pros/cons of each.

In my case it will be used for the wife to be when I'm not around to cook on the kettles.

Saw this sexy little number on CL

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Only the largest Q (3xx and 3xxx series) has something resembling 2-zone cooking. And even then, it's weird, with the zones not being left/right or front/back but inside/outside. But I don't know of any Q lover that's bothered by that. I sold mine, but mostly because I'm not a gas user.

But like you, there's this non-enthusiast who shares the house. She hasn't asked for one, and would never step out into the cold to cook, but I now have a Genesis like in your picture waiting restoration and a blue one with plastic tables and side burner too.

At retail prices, I'm probably the only person here that would spend $400 on a 2-burner Spirit instead of on a Q3200. The zone issue is that important to me.

The largest Q models are only "portable" if you unbolt them from the table, which makes the Q1xx(x) and Q2xx(x) models incomparable to any Spirit or Genesis, which are never portable by any sane measure.

The Q, even the 2-burner models, will alway have fewer parts to go bad and fewer things to rust than the standard Webers.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LanceW

• Happy Cooker
I really love the little Q I picked up off CL, but I also dig the lines of the older Genesis.

sexy little number
Personally, what I quoted says it all. If I had every iteration of the Q, I'd still dig the lines of the older Genesis, it is a sexy little number. It appears to be a good specimen for rehabbing, I believe you really want it and I'm sure you know there are plenty of write ups on the "how to's". Call and go get that thing before it's gone, just do it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:56:46 AM by LanceW »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
The older ones came with the double flavorizer bars.
I rebuilt a Genesis 1 that had 13 flavorizer bars in it.

I cooked on it about 6 months and decided to sell it to make room for more kettles. I wished I never did. But then I found a Genesis Jr that used the same double flavorizer bar setup but with 2 burners.

I bought it and I will never sell it. It's a great little cooker. I think the flavorizer bars we're reduced only as it cost saving measure not as an improvement.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:56:08 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
LanceW, welcome to WKC!

Kneab, those are great looking machines.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ

I cooked on it about 6 months and decided to sell it to make room for more kettles. I wished I never did. But then I found a Genesis Jr that used the same double flavorizer bar setup but with 2 burners.

I bought it and I will never sell it. It's a great little cooker. I think the flavorizer bars we're reduced only as it cost saving measure not as an improvement.
Gorgeous. Rarely do you see them that the black sides of the lid aren't faded. Yours look like they were either incredibly maintained or painted. Beautiful.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Hofy

• WKC Brave
The Q machines are great little grillers.  Just stick to burgers, brats, and hot dogs.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Kneab

• WKC Performer

Gorgeous. Rarely do you see them that the black sides of the lid aren't faded. Yours look like they were either incredibly maintained or painted. Beautiful.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thanks Joe. The sides of the lid and the cookbox were repainted on the Genesis 1 and the Jr.

The timing of your comment couldn't be more perfect.
I am in the process of staining all new wood for a Genesis 3000 that I am restoring. The cookbox, lid sides and frame have also all been repainted. And of course it is red.
Here is a before pic
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:26:04 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
I have a baby Q that I just gave to a weber newbie also have a 1997 weber genesis 1000 I restored. I used the baby q for maybe 2 chuck eyes. Big cooking and rotisserie was on the 1000. Baby q was great in the winter for some small quick stuff. I now use the genesis silver a 2 burner in the winter. My 1000 has red oak wooden tables and does not see rain or snow.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .