Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Some Pies in the Brick Kettle Pizza Oven  (Read 2657 times)

Pat G

• WKC Brave
Some Pies in the Brick Kettle Pizza Oven
« on: June 11, 2018, 07:16:20 AM »
I finally got a chance to use my "Brick Red" kettle.  I found this one for $20 and it is my dedicated pizza kettle.  We used Tyler Florence's dough recipe, that is my go to from now on.

Getting the fire going.

Let the oak get fired up.

I think it's hot enough.

Getting close.

The pies.  I'll explain the triangle one below.

I'm getting better at this, lots of cornmeal on the peel is the secret.  The triangle shaped pizza was my fault.  You must prepare the pizza on the peel,   My daughter and I did this on the first two. On the last pizza we started topping the dough on the counter and realized our mistake after it was done.  It is not easy to get a raw loaded dough on the peel after the fact.  Lesson learned.  Pies were great.  Thanks for looking. 8)
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Some Pies in the Brick Kettle Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
IMHO that's too nice a kettle to use for a pizza oven. Having said that...the pizza's look delicious.

2kewlgypsy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
Parchment paper helps me with sliding in pizzas. The caution is, paper will but over 425ish, so watch it and pull it out after a minute or two, corn meal on the paper helps!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RebelDevil670

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
Very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
Does the corn meal burn at that temp?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
Does the corn meal burn at that temp?
Yes.   If you drop cornmeal on hot coals it will flare up immediately.  It’ll carbonize on the stone if left alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »
Parchment paper helps me with sliding in pizzas. The caution is, paper will but over 425ish, so watch it and pull it out after a minute or two, corn meal on the paper helps!

I'm going to have to keep that idea in mind for next time.  I had parchment paper on hand the night of the disaster because I use it when baking cookies.  Had I known, I'd have used some for the pizzas...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:15:55 AM »
I finally got a chance to use my "Brick Red" kettle.  I found this one for $20 and it is my dedicated pizza kettle.  We used Tyler Florence's dough recipe, that is my go to from now on.

Getting the fire going.

Let the oak get fired up.

I think it's hot enough.

Getting close.

The pies.  I'll explain the triangle one below.

I'm getting better at this, lots of cornmeal on the peel is the secret.  The triangle shaped pizza was my fault.  You must prepare the pizza on the peel,   My daughter and I did this on the first two. On the last pizza we started topping the dough on the counter and realized our mistake after it was done.  It is not easy to get a raw loaded dough on the peel after the fact.  Lesson learned.  Pies were great.  Thanks for looking. 8)
Nice work.  Pizza takes practice to master.  Change one variable at a time, find what works (and tastes good), and stick with it.  I think we can all relate to a pizza failure.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
Nice work.  Pizza takes practice to master.  Change one variable at a time, find what works (and tastes good), and stick with it.  I think we can all relate to a pizza failure.

Very true.  The first time I made pizza with the Kettle Pizza attachment it didn't go this smoothly.  We had pizza but there were a couple of mishaps.  In all my years of grilling I hadn't been as intimidated by cooking until I used the Kettle Pizza.  I know it has something to do with trying to slide the pizza on to a limited size stone in an 800 degree kettle.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
Great looking pies!  The more you cook the better they will get.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

Yep.  Parchment paper is now used in all my pizza cooks.  Works like a champ.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »

Yep.  Parchment paper is now used in all my pizza cooks.  Works like a champ.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

+3

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app