Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a '96 SSP today - Questions about Lid Vent / Damper & Gas Assist options  (Read 884 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
I got lucky today and picked up a "ER" SSP Performer w/ gas assist for $25!

It's in pretty good shape but the lid vent is loose and flat.  It doesn't have any curve to it and doesn't fit snug at all, like my other webers.  I haven't come across this issue before and just wondering if the vent is supposed to have some curvature to it?  I'm thinking it does and in this case, the previous owners kept pushing up on the vent handle eventually causing it to flatten out.  So, can I just drill out the rivet and bend this back to shape?  Or do I need a new one?  What's the recommendation?  Here's what the vent/damper looks like.

Also, the gas assist works and the tank is nearly full of propane.  However, I don't believe anyone will refill these tanks now.  I searched for a conversion, but it didn't seem like there was a clear option to convert to the small propane tanks.  I'm wondering what most folks are doing now to convert.  I know, many don't use the gas assist and I will not use either, but I want to give this performer to my son and he will probably want to use it. 

Thanks!
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger

That’s a great looking grill and a great deal.

If you have the triangle handle and not the star handle you should be able to get it inspected and recertified.

You can also get adapters to fill it yourself from a larger propane tank.

I bought one of these:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21226816

And converted my regulator to acme nut with one of theses:
https://www.amazon.com/GASSAF-QCC1-Propane-Adapter-Regulator/dp/B0742ZDKG5/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EFH1T95PXTP8CN40M0RR

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Great score! Congrats! I love SSP and any Weber Green.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Ok so what i did with my loose lid vent was drilled it out opened the hole up just slightly to accommodate. A carriage bolt. Then i cut it short (MOST not all carriage bolts are 2 plus inches long) and used a wing nut. Step drill bits are your friend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Unnecessary to enlarge the hole. Just use a 1/4"-20 carriage bolt and grind off the 4 corners of the bolt for it to go through the original hole.  They're available as short as 3/4".  Enlarging the hole will accelerate rusting because of the extreme heat around the vent area. You will need at least 2 washers in conjunction with a high collar lock washer. Alternative to the wing nut is a prevailing lock nut. Don't use Nyloc.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:41:58 PM by Jules V. »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Nice pickup.
The propane tank just needs recertification if it is more than 12 years old. Take it to your local propane supplier. It costs about ten bucks for certification and 5 or so for the propane. A new 5# tank is around 50.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:51:57 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
My recommendation is to fire it up and try it. Im sure it'll work just fine without doing anything.

Its a grill not a submarine...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

My recommendation is to fire it up and try it. Im sure it'll work just fine without doing anything.

Its a grill not a submarine...

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
Congrats. Good advice above on fixing the vent. Please note that the frame connection points tend to rust. I would check those carefully, especially the bottom ones. I would also strip the unit and spray the frame with rust proof paint. Use a high gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Keep in mind that the frame can get very hot especially around the bracket mounts. Use high heat paint. If the overall paint is in good condition, just do touch ups on the rusted areas.