Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vorxtex chicken wing help  (Read 1582 times)

rcmarsman

• Happy Cooker
Vorxtex chicken wing help
« on: June 09, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »
I nees best way cook chicken wings with my vortrx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vorxtex chicken wing help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
I cook wings like this...
First I start with whole wings and only remove the wing tip...
Then season with whatever rub you like...
Cook em till done...I usually flip em around 30 minutes...

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
Small end of the vortex up. Vents wide open. Don’t sauce until done to maintain crispy skin.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
Everyone cooks wings a little differently. I start with full wings cut the tip off and cut drumstick from flat rinse wings and pat dry. I season with John Henry’s Wing Seasoning and put a little All Purpose Flower on them.

As for the Vortex... full chimney of charcoal one chunk of Hickory on top. I start with wide open vent and the the vent at the back of the grill the 12 o’clock at every 15 min mark rotate lid to 3 o’clock then 6 o’clock then 9 o’clock. Your wings should be done and crisply.

As far as flipping them... I myself do not flip them.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
I separate my wings and put them on a rack to air dry in the fridge overnight.  On the day of the cook I get them out and hit them with that night's rub of choice.  I use a med. Vortex in my 26er.  I start a small Weber chimney and put a layer of cold briquettes on the bottom of the Vortex.  When the chimney is hot, I dump it an put another layer of cold briquettes on top.  In about 10 minutes, the temp guage is pegged at over 600º.

Drummettes go around the Vortes and with the flats around the drummies.   At about 20 minutes, I sauce the wings and put them back for another 10-15 minutes.

Boom ! ! !

( . . . I do realize that this is only one way, but it works for me.  I'm sure that your way is just as good . . . )

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
You almost can’t mess this up...try multiple ways and see what you like best. Wings are so forgiving, just play around with it.

Me personally...whole chimney, narrow side up, vents wide open, seasoned chicken surrounding the vortex and a giant chunk of cherry over the coals...45 mins to deliciousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
I like to bread my wings with a light flour mix like House Autry Medium Hot and vortex cook em till they look like this...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
Perfect setup with the 22" and the medium Vortex (small side up) filled with RO Lump. Wings seasoned with Mad Hunky General Purpose Rub:

Sauces were served on the side... my BBQ sauce, and my Asian Hoisin sauce.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:07:42 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
You almost can’t mess this up...

Yeah, that's really the beauty of it.  Just picked up a family pack from Sam's.  Gonna separate them and let them dry out over night.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »

You almost can’t mess this up...

Yeah, that's really the beauty of it.  Just picked up a family pack from Sam's.  Gonna separate them and let them dry out over night.

BD

I love the sams wings.  That’s what I always use.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Hey @SMOKE FREAK, did you oil the wings and then into the dredge?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Hey @SMOKE FREAK, did you oil the wings and then into the dredge?

BD

Actually I bread the wet wings and then spray them with an olive oil non stick spray...Then if I have time they go in the fridge for a while...And that really works best for me...Vortex around 500 takes care of the rest...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »

Actually I bread the wet wings and then spray them with an olive oil non stick spray...Then if I have time they go in the fridge for a while...And that really works best for me...Vortex around 500 takes care of the rest...

Definitely going give that try soon.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vorxtex chicken wing help
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 05:21:31 AM »
Perfect setup with the 22" and the medium Vortex (small side up) filled with RO Lump. Wings seasoned with Mad Hunky General Purpose Rub:

Sauces were served on the side... my BBQ sauce, and my Asian Hoisin sauce.

I’ll try out the lump in the vortex next time. I’ve been using weber and it doesn’t seem to get as hot as other briquettes. Kbb and ro briqs seem to settle in at 500-550. The weber briqs settle at about 450.

Last night I got home from a long day of drinking and golf (I didn’t drive) and the vortex was perfect for two reasons. Ease of use and the much needed extra grill estate it provides over doing baskets in the middle.

I put the chicken on and I went inside and sat in my chair. My wife had a feeling I would fall asleep so she asked me what time to pull them off in case I wasn’t awake. It worked great. I did fall asleep and she did pull them off at the right time. What really impressed me is she said she closed the vents too. I didn’t know she knew to do that. I woke up around 11pm and had some wings. [emoji3]

No finish pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:46:33 AM by HoosierKettle »