Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first resto part 2  (Read 1707 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
My first resto part 2
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Picture heavy hence the second post...

One thing I learned is that it's better to dab the paint with a q-tip rather than masking off with tape. The edges are much easier to feather

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: My first resto part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
Looks like it turned out grate!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:53 AM »
Awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
Picture heavy hence the second post...

One thing I learned is that it's better to dab the paint with a q-tip rather than masking off with tape. The edges are much easier to feather

Looks good!

If you ever do another painting project (kettles, cars, etc) use tape, but peel back/roll over the outside edge.  Hard to describe without a visual, but imagine if only half of the sticky side is actually stuck down, and the other edge is rolled over onto itself so the sticky stuff is looking straight up.  This avoids that hard line/crease where paint meets the taped edge and gives a much nicer feathered "edge" to the paint. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »
^^ I like that ProTip!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:06:33 PM »
Thanks and makes perfect sense. I might just rub down this kettle again and try the rolled tape technique!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
Thanks and makes perfect sense. I might just rub down this kettle again and try the rolled tape technique!

It'd be great to see the difference between the two techniques especially on the same kettle!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
Agreed. I will do a side by side and post some pics. Likely won't be until next weekend (soccer tournament this weekend).