Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP charcoal bin keeps falling thru  (Read 1708 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
SSP charcoal bin keeps falling thru
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:45:09 AM »
I just know someone here has an answer to this. My charcoal bin in my ssp must be a little warped along the top edge because it keeps falling through and it’s driving me batshit crazy. There is otherwise nothing wrong with it and my charcoal stays dry in there.

Short of buying a new bin, which I don’t want to do, what can I do to get this thing to stay secure? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: SSP charcoal bin keeps falling thru
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
I don’t think new ones are available for purchase.

I fixed one by attaching some angle plastic to the sides with rivets. So far it has worked well.

I’m away from home until into June. Will post pics then.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:22:31 PM by ClubChapin »

burkhokd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »
I had this as well and mine was within warranty and they sent me a new one - no questions asked. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
Could you use a thin strip of wood or metal rod, to effect a smaller opening so that it won’t slip through? Sounds like it’s warped.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »

The below didn’t work. It still falls through sometimes. I’ve sourced a new bin that so far works better. It has straight sides, not bowed in like the pictured one.

Here’s how I fixed it.  I used plastic so it wouldn’t scratch my frame. Im sure a metal would be stronger or last longer. I am able to scoop charcoal as aggressively, or more so, as my other SSP bins that don’t fall through so easily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RFWXSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_PAldBbEZGYZA7

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:21:40 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
I had this as well and mine was within warranty and they sent me a new one - no questions asked.

How recently was this?  These haven’t been available for several years.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
They (SSP Coal bins) are NOT available.  However... @CarrieAnn I do have a spare from a project SSP Gone awry.. If you are interested in a replacement. Shoot me a PM.

But... ya gotta love them rivets!! Saved my bacon plenty of times...

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...