Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear 2.0  (Read 6875 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Slow n Sear 2.0
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:30 AM »
Lots of good comments here, and I know change is always treated like it's... change.  Here are the facts.

I have spent 3 years trying to improve the design of the original Slow 'N Sear, reduce cost, and improve our capacity to manufacture.

Over the last 3 years our costs have continually gone UP though we have kept the price the same.

The Slow 'N Sear 2.0 offers the following improvements:

20% more water capacity in the reservoir
30% more sear zone with the reservoir removed
Reduced ash buildup in the charcoal basket due to an improved bottom plate pattern
Reduced warping due to overbored rivet assembly that allows for flex during high heat cooks

We did make a change to 430 SS, which is a bit cheaper than 304 SS, however, we use the SAME GAUGE of metal, which is what's most critical.  Both metals have the same coefficient of expansion when heated and the same melting point.  430 SS actually melts at a little higher temp.

The new Slow 'N Sear has the same 10 year warranty as the old Slow 'N Sear and is made of MUCH higher quality material than the porcelain enabled carbon steel lid and bowl of your kettle.  The SnS metal is not the weak link in this equation. 

The new design is better and with time I'm confident you're going to love it as much as I do.

@abcbarbecue

I think that’s a fair explanation. Thank you.

Two more questions:

1) Why rivets? I speculated earlier that it’s easier to employ people that can use rivets rather than those that can weld. Would that be a fair assumption? Is there a design aspect we are missing?

2) Are we to assume that since material cost has played a role in the new design, that the purchase price of the old design will increase to the consumer? Or will the current design be phased out in favor of 2.0’s across the board? If either, I hope we as consumers get a notice and a chance to purchase a few more before any price/availability changes occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:36:42 AM by Mike in Roseville »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Slow n Sear 2.0
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 07:19:12 AM »
Lots of good comments here, and I know change is always treated like it's... change.  Here are the facts.

I have spent 3 years trying to improve the design of the original Slow 'N Sear, reduce cost, and improve our capacity to manufacture.

Over the last 3 years our costs have continually gone UP though we have kept the price the same.

The Slow 'N Sear 2.0 offers the following improvements:

20% more water capacity in the reservoir
30% more sear zone with the reservoir removed
Reduced ash buildup in the charcoal basket due to an improved bottom plate pattern
Reduced warping due to overbored rivet assembly that allows for flex during high heat cooks

We did make a change to 430 SS, which is a bit cheaper than 304 SS, however, we use the SAME GAUGE of metal, which is what's most critical.  Both metals have the same coefficient of expansion when heated and the same melting point.  430 SS actually melts at a little higher temp.

The new Slow 'N Sear has the same 10 year warranty as the old Slow 'N Sear and is made of MUCH higher quality material than the porcelain enabled carbon steel lid and bowl of your kettle.  The SnS metal is not the weak link in this equation. 

The new design is better and with time I'm confident you're going to love it as much as I do.

@abcbarbecue

Two more questions:

1) Why rivets? I speculated earlier that it’s easier to employ people that can use rivets rather than those that can weld. Would that be a fair assumption? Is there a design aspect we are missing?

2) Are we to assume that since material cost has played a role in the new design, that the purchase price of the old design will increase to the consumer? Or will the current design be phased out in favor of 2.0’s across the board? If either, I hope we as consumers get a notice and a chance to purchase a few more before any price/availability changes occur.

Check out the website.

They are selling off the stock of the old ones and they will be discontinued.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Slow n Sear 2.0
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »
I would encourage anyone to read the faq on the website regarding the new design. It might save some redundancy.

I’m not really in the market for another charcoal holder, but if i were, I like the design changes. In concept at least.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:58:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow n Sear 2.0
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »

@ABCbarbecue

Two more questions:

1) Rivets are faster and yes it's easier to find people that can rivet.  It also drastically speeds up production.  We literally cannot keep up with demand by welding anymore.  Old design is being phased out.  This one is superior.  Rivets also allowed us to pick where the stress points occur during heat expansion.  The new design warps MUCH less 8)

2) The old model is going to be gone soon.  No plans to increase pricing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:09:27 AM by ABCbarbecue »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
I would rather have a  properly riveted than a poorly welded SnS. According to welders that i dealt in the past, 430 stainless is not a  very good candidate for welding because of its composition. Having said that, the rivets are probably the best option for this product not only in  terms of faster and reduced production cost but also for structural reasons.  And yes both of my SnS are warped around the inner portion of the water reservoir.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
I would rather have a  properly riveted than a poorly welded SnS. According to welders that i dealt in the past, 430 stainless is not a  very good candidate for welding because of its composition. Having said that, the rivets are probably the best option for this product not only in  terms of faster and reduced production cost but also for structural reasons.  And yes both of my SnS are warped around the inner portion of the water reservoir.

Same here. My SnS is warped also. It would be nice if owners of the SnS got a discount on the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
new design looks kickass. I rarely use the water reservoir, so this makes perfect sense for me.

except i have like 3 SNS already and my wife will murder me if i get another

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »

Same here. My SnS is warped also. It would be nice if owners of the SnS got a discount on the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a group buy! ;D

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
Don't need one anymore. Had 3 but gave one to my brother as i only use it when doing rotisserie.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
Yeah these “improvements” look like they’re features for the company’s bottom line. Moving away from welding and 304ss just screams cost cutting.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
Product changes always need to benefit maker and buyer in order to be successful. The benefits for S 'n S 2.0 both have already been stated. Choosing to interpret one aspect of the changes (304 is "always better" than 430) screams willful ignorance and irresponsible commentary. Maybe you can additionally post it on Facebook, to complete the cycle misinformation.

The restaurant owner who always has every table filled with customers is failing the business for the same reasons running out of product inventory will kill a business. Excess inventory means you aren't turning customers away. Those opportunity costs grow exponentially.

Will the rivets fail or rust through eventually? With a 10 yr warranty, I doubt if I'd care. By then you'd get a replacement 3.0 or 4.0 version for free. Let's unclench. In the meantime, the 1.0 304 versions warp. Even in official product photos.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »
Yeah these “improvements” look like they’re features for the company’s bottom line. Moving away from welding and 304ss just screams cost cutting.
Sure, perhaps they are....so what? @ABCbarbecue  has been forthright in explaining why the changes were made. In the end it will be up to us users to determine whether it was a worthwhile change. Costcutting in itself is not a bad thing.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
Sure, perhaps they are....so what? @ABCbarbecue  has been forthright in explaining why the changes were made. In the end it will be up to us users to determine whether it was a worthwhile change. Costcutting in itself is not a bad thing.

I’m looking VERY forward to hearing how 2.0 works for folks.   :)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »

I’m looking VERY forward to hearing how 2.0 works for folks.   :)
Send me a new one!!! I'll be happy to compare them  ;D

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
I was on the fence about buying one before but I like the new design and I just ordered one.  I really like the ability to remove the water reservoir for 30% more of a sear zone then the current style.  My use is more for searing then low and slow and would not use the water reservoir much anyways.  I appreciate that @ABCbarbecue has brought this product to the market for us Weber owners and hope his business continues to be successful for both his family and the employees working there.  If this new steel being used can get even close to the 10 years that it's warrantied for I'll be happy.