Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap find, but need help with parts  (Read 14691 times)

Big B

• WKC Brave
Re: Cheap find, but need help with parts
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:06 AM »
Haaaaa, nice catch
AJ, now that you point that out, I started with a Weber regulator, but it went bad, so I just used one off of another grill I had laying around, its not a Weber regulator. I think any regulator, for 1lb propane, should work. Mine has been fine for 2 years now

Brent
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:09:23 AM by Big B »
Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:18 AM »
Haaaaa, nice catch
AJ, now that you point that out, I started with a Weber regulator, but it went bad, so I just used one off of another grill I had laying around, its not a Weber regulator. I think any regulator, for 1lb propane, should work. Mine has been fine for 2 years now

Brent

We won't tell. Its good to know that you salvaged parts from a grill that probably would have hit the landfill.
Webers even resuce other grills!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
Almost done with the build. Didn't try to make it factory new, only get it to sort of proper working order.

I disassembled everything I could, and wound up having to cut out the old ash sweepers. The bracket that holds up the ash pan ring was bent, so I went to work with a hammer getting that back into shape. It was fairly rusty but it was still thick enough to be solid.

Once I got everything apart, I took an angle grinder to the three bolts in the bowl and ground the heads off as they were rusted in place. One complete, I pressure washed and scrubbed with some purple degreaser I got at Costco.

IMAG0677 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

While I disassembled the grill, Weber delivered a nice box of goodies I needed to order in order for repair. Two casters, a lid bale, ash sweeper, thermometer, and a handful of the charcoal baskets.

IMAG0656 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

After removing the bolts, I was able to take the burner tube and hose it out with water. The spark ignitor works fine, and if not held to metal, delivers a nice little shock. I painted the bracket really quick with some high heat rust oleum black, then gave it a quick shot of some blue I had laying around, so it would look better. I then reassembled it and bolted it in using some stainless hardware I picked up at Lowes.

IMAG0679 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

The original lid bale was missing, so I installed a new one, again using stainless hardware to secure the middle bracket to the kettle. I also dropped the new ash sweeper in place. It isn't super tight to the bowl in all places, but it is pretty good and I'm sure will seal just fine once some ash and dirt is built up.

IMAG0682 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

After installing the burner tube, I took the can of high heat and put a couple shots of paint on to the areas that were rusting. (the can says it has rust inhibitor) I also painted the ash sweeper bracket, and gave the ring a quick scrub with some scotchbrite. If I had access to a wire wheel, this would have been the time. I also installed the sweeper assembly and found that when using the original ring bracket, that you cannot use the metal "washer" supplied with the new sweeper assembly. After reading through the instructions again, I may have installed the sweeper backwards, where the sweeper may be open while the handle is to the left, instead of closed. Regardless, it is easy to disassemble, and works fine the way it is.

IMAG0681 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Once the bottom was put together, I attached the bottom bowl to the cart, again using stainless hardware. I then put the new thermometer in place. -the metal where the thermometer goes was pretty sad looking so I polished it on my buffer. It is now a mirror finish and looks amazing I then rigged up the ignitor button and dropped the charcoal bin back in place. While I was cleaning out the charcoal bin I managed to find the little hook that Weber supplied to move the charcoal baskets around. I has also installed the casters I got, but didn't think to take a photo of that process.

IMAG0684 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

The ash catcher isn't in place because I need to pound a few dents out and clean up the handle as well as the pan. I may paint this with the high temp black, as I think it would look pretty cool. Even the blue would look cool as well. I did get a grill cover with it, but it has a 6" tear in it that I will need to fix before I can use it.

When I got the grill, it was missing the tank and regulator assembly. PBI gummy was kind enough to send me out an original regulator that I will be installing. If I can figure out an adapter for it, I'll most likely buy an 11lb tank as he had done and then rig up a bracket to hang it. Overall I spent $110 on the grill, including all the new parts I bought from Weber. ($10 of that was stainless that I really didn't need, just wanted)

Wish I has more pics of the process but pulling a phone out of your pocket and trying to use it with dirty hands isn't a chore I care to do a lot of.

<edit> the stainless looks like hell in that last photo, but it is very clean. It looks that way because of all the rags I had sitting on it while working, then wiping off the dirt and other stuff that would fall onto the table. I'll probably wind up hitting it with 220 sandpaper to get a totally clean scratch free look. However, it is plenty clean for use right now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:19:38 PM by mikeinctown »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »
Very nice, Mike! I'm pretty sure that hook that you are talking about is for lighting the tube with a match when the igniter dies.

It just occured to me- can you use a locking setscrew collar in between the "H" to hold the ash sweeper handle in place while retaining the old style ashbar?

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »
What do you mean by hold it in place? The way the new sweepers work is that there is a little tab on the handle that slides through a notch. Once you slide it through the notch you give it a 180* turn and it won't pull back out.

Didn't even think of using a match. The hook end is perfect for grabbing the holes they placed on either side of the charcoal baskets to move them around.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »
What do you mean by hold it in place? The way the new sweepers work is that there is a little tab on the handle that slides through a notch. Once you slide it through the notch you give it a 180* turn and it won't pull back out.

Didn't even think of using a match. The hook end is perfect for grabbing the holes they placed on either side of the charcoal baskets to move them around.

Roger that. You aren't using the washer with the H though right? Doesn't the handle spin around but not pull out unless it's lined up with the keyway?

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
I see what you are talking about. The new little washer has a slot that the handle should snap into. Since the old catcher support doesn't allow that little tab, the handle is allowed to turn freely. Not sure how you would keep the handle from turning unless you used one of your collars that had a ground side placed against the bracket so that the handle couldn't be twisted.

IMAG0689 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Mike, That's exactly what I thought! The "missing link" is some kind of locking block is what someone would need to adapt an old style ashbar to the new one touch. If only I could get my hands on the new style "H" one touch I could mock one up! This is karma for sending you the regulator, lol. I have been thinking about this problem for weeks since I don't have the parts!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
What is this new style H you are talking about? Is it the ash ring? Or are you talking about the new ash sweep handle and that little clip thing? I have a 2005 performer as well that I could take some pictures of, or get you some measurements.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
What is this new style H you are talking about? Is it the ash ring? Or are you talking about the new ash sweep handle and that little clip thing? I have a 2005 performer as well that I could take some pictures of, or get you some measurements.

Hi Mike, the new style H is the new ash sweep handle and clip thing. People call it an H because of the pattern in the stamped parts. Thanks for the offer on measurements but I'm a very visual kind of guy so I'll just wait.  :)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »
Mike, That's exactly what I thought! The "missing link" is some kind of locking block is what someone would need to adapt an old style ashbar to the new one touch. If only I could get my hands on the new style "H" one touch I could mock one up! This is karma for sending you the regulator, lol. I have been thinking about this problem for weeks since I don't have the parts!

PBE, I was just going to send a message and wanted a picture. In the illustration above, Your bracket can be the same thickness. To accept the "H" style system, the piece that drops through the bowl and sweeps needs to be made longer to accept the new tolerance. Make sense?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »

Hi Mike, the new style H is the new ash sweep handle and clip thing. People call it an H because of the pattern in the stamped parts. Thanks for the offer on measurements but I'm a very visual kind of guy so I'll just wait.  :)

I'm visual to, just can't explain it correctly...

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »

PBE, I was just going to send a message and wanted a picture. In the illustration above, Your bracket can be the same thickness. To accept the "H" style system, the piece that drops through the bowl and sweeps needs to be made longer to accept the new tolerance. Make sense?
Honestly, the new clip thing is the same thickness, or at least appears to be the same thickness as the old bracket that holds up the ash ring. So yeah, if you wanted to place both the washer deal AND the bracket in place, then the stamped U shape part would need to be extended by the thickness of the washer.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
PBE Gummi was nice enough to send me his old regulator assembly as he couldn't rig up the proper propane connector and IIRC he bought a new one. Got it home and looked at my Bayou Classic sitting there and pulled the connector off... Fit like a glove. So, if anyone has the old quick connect on your SS, there are valves out there that will fit the threaded connection at the regulator.

IMAG0694 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
PBE Gummi was nice enough to send me his old regulator assembly as he couldn't rig up the proper propane connector and IIRC he bought a new one. Got it home and looked at my Bayou Classic sitting there and pulled the connector off... Fit like a glove. So, if anyone has the old quick connect on your SS, there are valves out there that will fit the threaded connection at the regulator.

IMAG0694 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Great work, Mike! I'm happy it worked out for you!