Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paint preference for frames?  (Read 1400 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Paint preference for frames?
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
I'm going to be doing some painting on my 'new' SS Performer frame, and was wondering if folks had any preference for paint.  I think it needs black gloss, but is there any brand preference or rust prohibitive feature or anything?  And do y'all use primer on the bare metal?  And do you make spot repairs, or do you repaint the whole frame to prevent a splotchy appearance?

Thanks, WKC brain trust.  Where would I be without you? (actually, grilling on a dreary black 2010 OTG while dreaming of a red SS, but who's counting?)
One of the charcoal people.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Paint preference for frames?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
I think the actual paint Weber uses on those frames is somewhere between a satin and semi-gloss.  Keep in mind if you use a glossy finish, it will tend to show more flaws like scratches and scuffs especially that are bound to happen.  Personally I've used a satin on the frames and thought it looked good.  I've also used a semi-gloss and liked that too.

You should always use a primer on bare metal.  I've had real good luck with a self etching primer.  It adhears very well.  And of course, make sure your surface is clean and free of any oils from your hands so the paint sticks smoothly!
Spot repairs can be done with primer and paint as long as you are using the same paint that was previously used.  I don't think brands of paints will make a huge difference.   You can get a high temp barbeque black paint that has a satin finish...I use that one.  Works nicely.

Good luck Mike
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Paint preference for frames?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »
Rustoleum high heat ULTRA matches the finish pretty well.  Make sure to get the ultra-it's usually a couple bucks more a can but the regular rustoleum high heat is a relatively unfinished looking finish-it looks like a sandable primer.