Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need to add a temp gauge to my kettle dome.  (Read 2479 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Need to add a temp gauge to my kettle dome.
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »
I'd like to add a temp gauge to my dome. Brands/type and placement advice fellas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: Need to add a temp gauge to my kettle dome.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
I did this small mod afew months ago. Took the handle off drilled two holes and fit a weber thermometer through the whole in the handle and one hole in the top of the kettle. Works great and fits tight.

The trick is dont drill a hole as big as the thermometer and than take a piece if metal like a screwdriver and make the hole just wide enough to push the thermometer in.

I got the parts online for about $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
I did this small mod afew months ago. Took the handle off drilled two holes and fit a weber thermometer through the whole in the handle and one hole in the top of the kettle. Works great and fits tight.

The trick is dont drill a hole as big as the thermometer and than take a piece if metal like a screwdriver and make the hole just wide enough to push the thermometer in.

Can you post a picture of the hole drilled in the lid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

state48bbq

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
I did a mod on my kettle with one. I put it on the grate level in the dome. But I added it under the lid vent to optimize my temps for indirect.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »

Thanks Transit98. The way you explained and added pics helps alot.  Very nice

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »

Can you post a picture of the hole drilled in the lid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I will post a pic of the lid hole in afew.

I ordered the parts from

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?q=Weber

Thermometer, Dual-Purpose (62538)

Thermometer Mounting Assembly (94100)

Both parts cost me $12.50 plus $5 shipping.

1st Drill the hole in the handle. Use a pilot hole so you dont break the drill bit.

2nd slide in the thermometer and than eyeball where the thermometer tip meets the lid before the other side of the handle.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
Only thing though is that the handle strap that was used for that type of thermometer is taller.  For those that have larger hands/fingers, it's probably not an option.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:48:07 AM »
Only thing though is that the handle strap that was used for that type of thermometer is taller.  For those that have larger hands/fingers, it's probably not an option.

And Weber also pointed the thermo going the other way. It puts the probe tip a little nearer the vent side and so also, more away from heat (for indirect cooking).

So for the newer kind like I linked to, for best hope of accuracy, place it nearest the lid vent you can, as down low as you can ... might need to forgoe the bezel in that case.

Like state48bbq did his.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:20:57 AM »
@Mike Huff , personally I would not add one. All we do is point out how "off" the dome temp is from cooking temp. Save the trouble, save the drill bit and save the possibility of screwing up your lid and just get a nice dual probe thermo set up.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »
I did a mod on my kettle with one. I put it on the grate level in the dome. But I added it under the lid vent to optimize my temps for indirect.

state48bbq - thank you, after looking at these posts I think I'll do the same.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
@Mike Huff , personally I would not add one. All we do is point out how "off" the dome temp is from cooking temp. Save the trouble, save the drill bit and save the possibility of screwing up your lid and just get a nice dual probe thermo set up.
That may be the way to go.  I'm just getting started with the kettle vs always using gas so I'm used to knowing the temp. So the dual probe set up is a probe to the meat and a probe just over the grate I think. Thank you.