Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first restoration (N-code Red Head)  (Read 1166 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
My first restoration (N-code Red Head)
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
Well, what can I say other than I had a lot of fun putting this 25 ish year old kettle back together. Hopefully it will be around for a few more decades.

Picked it up off of MP a few weeks back. Overall fairly solid but it had a gimpy leg socket. Studied up on other WKC posts, bought some hardware, paint and had at it.

This will definitely be a cooker as I didn't put in the time to make it brandy new. Very happy with the outcome. Tried a few different techniques applying the caliper paint. Also had a liberal coating of JB Weld to some problem areas. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first restoration (N-code Red Head)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »
Wish I knew how to fill in those leg socket gaps. My J-B Weld Extreme Heat did not stick to the metal/rust. Probably should have navel jellied it first?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch