Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri Tip?  (Read 2053 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tri Tip?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
Better pic of fried....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »

@addicted-to-smoke

Most folks do this stuff to about 135 or thereabouts for a medium rare center section & like Mike says you get a range because of the tapering of the piece

This is deep fried, likely about 190 or so as a finished temp....

it's injected w/oil based marinades so the fry oil attacks that & cooks it thru to the center....

Also what can be done is go way under grilling temps & do a "creeper" cook to have it just fall apart in long muscle strands.....also injected to keep the moisture level reasonable while going thru a long cook....

....if the cook temp is too high (above about 220) they will just cinch up & turn to shoe leather, but done carefully....beef flavored soft spagetti....extremely tender stuff.......

Damn, those look incredible!  Our local sams started stocking tri tip then stopped. I think I can get it from a local butcher / catering shop. I need to check into it.

I just cooked them to the normal 135ish internal and we really liked it but I wouldn’t mind experimenting more

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

OK, I really enjoy my SM attachment, but I haven't used my wok in a while - I think I need to try that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
Wow. Creeper cook, eh? Sounds like a long time. I've never seen that cur cooked either way before, but again, I'm in the wrong part of the country to have enough access to try any of that. Rock on!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
I want to know more about this pulled beef style technique above.  Do you have a recipe?  220 for how long or to what temp? Smoke? Marinade? Thanks

Cellar2ful

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »

@1buckie  -  I also would like to hear more on "creeper" tri-tip cook.  Never heard of it but looks amazing. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke

Most folks do this stuff to about 135 or thereabouts for a medium rare center section & like Mike says you get a range because of the tapering of the piece

This is deep fried, likely about 190 or so as a finished temp....

it's injected w/oil based marinades so the fry oil attacks that & cooks it thru to the center....

Also what can be done is go way under grilling temps & do a "creeper" cook to have it just fall apart in long muscle strands.....also injected to keep the moisture level reasonable while going thru a long cook....

....if the cook temp is too high (above about 220) they will just cinch up & turn to shoe leather, but done carefully....beef flavored soft spagetti....extremely tender stuff.......

Buckie,

Nicely done. Creeper looks like it is really low and slow. I can’t make out your grate thermos, but I’m guessing...165-170 at the grate? I know Tahoe Joe’s cooks some of their steak roasts that way....16-18 hours. It’s been many years since I had one (sirloin I believe) but it was incredibly tender.

I will also add, I have cooked a “shit ton” of tri tips, but have never deep fried one like that (not whole anyway). I’m down to give it a whirl. What temp was that oil? 350ish? Anything special you did to it or would try again? Any reason why you took it to 190 internal?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:13:06 AM by Mike in Roseville »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 08:11:05 AM »
Here's a recipe that just popped into my email. The URL says "Texas style," but Mr. Phillips knows his stuff so don't let that scare any of left-coasters.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/may-31-2018-texas-style-smoked-tri-tip-in-the-pit-boss-copperhead

I haven't tried it, but relevant to this thread do note that he's cooking mostly low (240) and stopped "where many steaks are stopped."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
@dazzo
Rick....if you go to deep fry, peel all the fatcap off the outside or it might EXPLODE when it hits the oil !!!

@addicted-to-smoke
This low heat cook can be done with other low fat content pieces like sirloin & such.....
The injection "replaces"  or adds into an ordinarily non-marbled piece a sort of fat content that, if enough is added, will stay there 'till the end of the cook....
I remember seeing an episode of some Pitmasters show where Myron Mixon is loading pork shoulders onto the cooker after injection & the thing drips juice (A LOT) all the way from the table to the pit....

People rage about Adam Perry Lang's board sauces....here's what an injected tip looks like cut....

@bstarr3    @Cellar2ful
The high temp would be maybe 220.....190-200 for a good 9 or 10 hours will usually get it there.....sadly I've always forgotten to get an internal on these, but I believe it would be lower than say, a brisket cook, just because it's operating at such a low run temp.....
You can kind of tell when it's getting about right......pull on the outside w/a fork & if it starts to peel back, you're  getting close....
I've had some of them not go long enough & just set them back on to get farther along....pretty easy....
Just DO NOT try to rush things at all or it will tighten up & not work.....

@HoosierKettle    @Mike in Roseville
See the above info & this link:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/something-different/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »

Here's a recipe that just popped into my email. The URL says "Texas style," but Mr. Phillips knows his stuff so don't let that scare any of left-coasters.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/may-31-2018-texas-style-smoked-tri-tip-in-the-pit-boss-copperhead

I haven't tried it, but relevant to this thread do note that he's cooking mostly low (240) and stopped "where many steaks are stopped."

That’s the method that has never made much sense to me. You can cook it that way but if you’re finishing it in a steak range and there is no fat/connective tissue to break down, the only thing this cooking method adds is time to your day.

@1buckie is proposing something a little different. Cooking even lower, longer, and to a higher temp (with an injection) will yield something akin to a succulent pulled/chopped beef.

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 04:39:26 AM »
I marinate my tri-tips for minimum 3 days in Chaka's MMM Sauce.

I cook them indirect to a internal temp of 120-125 degrees, then reverse sear using the SNS.  Let it rest for 15-20 minutes under a foil tent before slicing. Target temperature should be 135-140 degrees in the thickest part.  Like Mike in Roseville said, slicing across the grain is really important.
Awsome marinade good on almost anything!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 04:54:40 AM »
OK Mike I misunderstood. I read some posts above where guys were pulling them off like steaks but not necessarily creeper cooking them. That was the confusion I had since earlier people were talking about taking them to 160-170.

I’m good with just staying with ground beef for now.😬