Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri Tip?  (Read 2060 times)

Met8

• Smokey Joe
Tri Tip?
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
Anyone here slow cook tri tip?  What temp did you pull it?  How hot did you run your grill?  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jp217p

• WKC Brave
Re: Tri Tip?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:18:28 PM »
Anyone here slow cook tri tip?  What temp did you pull it?  How hot did you run your grill?  Thanks!

I cook my Tri Tip over medium heat. My Tri Tip is usually about 10"-12" over the heat. I pull it off at 155°. I tried cooking it like a steak and it's simply not. Like a pork chop isn't cooked like pulled pork or a steak to a brisket.  I cooked multiple at 130°, 140° and 160° at the same time. The one cooked at 160° was the most tender.  Also, don't forget to cut against the grain. As always, they're plenty of ways of cooking and this is just what works for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
I never have seen a tri tip here in Florida. From what I have seen the popular cooking method is santa maria style over high heat until medium, red and juicy inside. 155* to me is way over cooked as I cook my steaks to 140* for my family.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »
Just last night, cooked 4. Full chimney, 22" grill, direct and what I do is turn mine every 10 minutes.  That way it cooks through faster without burning the outside, tri tips can be thick. I pull when thickest part is 140 or so, at that point you will now have a piece of meat with a variety of doness, personally, I like the more cooked ends of a tri tip...but you really can't mess up a tri tip IMO. Enjoy.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 06:08:10 AM »

I never have seen a tri tip here in Florida. From what I have seen the popular cooking method is santa maria style over high heat until medium, red and juicy inside. 155* to me is way over cooked as I cook my steaks to 140* for my family.

Yep. Lots of ways too cook one. Low and slow doesn’t particularly add much except time to the cook (as there isn’t much internal fat to render).

It actually is a large steak roast (and occasionally packaged out here by butchers in 1” thick sections like a steak).

There is no best way...but if you treat it like a fat ribeye, you’re on the right track. Sear hot first then medium/high indirect (300-325) to finish or vice versa and reverse sear.

I usually pull close to medium and let rest. Also, cutting it correctly is critical. Even though the meat is shaped like a boot/boomerang, the grain usually runs in one continuous direction with the meat.

Get a few and practice...you’ll get the hang of it in no time.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 06:31:41 AM »
I marinate mine even though they say you don't need to.  I also trim off all the fat.  Not needed IMO.  I sear for about four min on each side then slide over to the indirect side on med heat until done.  Usually cook till 140 to 150.  Some use the reverse sear method which also works well.  Be sure to rest it and cut across the grain.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

scribe9154

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
I slow smoke them at 225-240 until 125 and do a reverse sear for a 2 mins a side. Middle should be rare and towards the ends will be well done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Met8

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
Sounds great, thanks for all the tips.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
I marinate my tri-tips for minimum 3 days in Chaka's MMM Sauce.

I cook them indirect to a internal temp of 120-125 degrees, then reverse sear using the SNS.  Let it rest for 15-20 minutes under a foil tent before slicing. Target temperature should be 135-140 degrees in the thickest part.  Like Mike in Roseville said, slicing across the grain is really important. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:37:39 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
I do indirect approx 45 minutes. Don't use thermometor. I do mine medium rare, slice against the grain at 45° angle works well.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Why such the disparity in finish temps for this cut?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »
Why such the disparity in finish temps for this cut?

Everyone likes their "steak" done at different temps.

I try to pull it just under medium so I get medium, dead center, following a rest period. It tapers to the ends so you get well-done at the end.

I don't like cooking it rare/medium rare, because it can be a little on the chewy on side (even properly cut against the grain, in thin slices).

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »
Tried to put up pics of both deep fried & pulled beef tri-tip & can't do it from this station......

This cut will go anywhere you want.....including medium rare..... 8)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:05:39 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
OK. Thought I'd read tri was different, needed "more" than other beefs, like 160-170 before it was "right," (decently tender?) whereas that would make hockey pucks outta other stuff.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke

Most folks do this stuff to about 135 or thereabouts for a medium rare center section & like Mike says you get a range because of the tapering of the piece

This is deep fried, likely about 190 or so as a finished temp....

it's injected w/oil based marinades so the fry oil attacks that & cooks it thru to the center....

Also what can be done is go way under grilling temps & do a "creeper" cook to have it just fall apart in long muscle strands.....also injected to keep the moisture level reasonable while going thru a long cook....

....if the cook temp is too high (above about 220) they will just cinch up & turn to shoe leather, but done carefully....beef flavored soft spagetti....extremely tender stuff.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"