Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first brownie!  (Read 1176 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
My first brownie!
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
About a month ago, I spotted an excellent condition Warrior for a whopping $15!  But it was 5 hours away [emoji21] but only 1 hr from my inlaws! [emoji16][emoji16]

The ad was an hour old and apparently I was the first one! She held it for me and my brother in law picked it up the following day.

They are visiting this weekend so I finally got to see my brownie in person!! She’s a beaut!! Minimal rim rash, only two, small pock marks on the bowl, and NO rust (except the triangle)!! And oh yeah, steel wheels with rubber treads baby!! The rubber shows hardly any signs of wear! It is still pretty pliable to the touch! Not dry and brittle. The wood handle is in excellent condition IMO.

I was so excited to clean her up after work today, but our 20 year old turtle passed away this morning, so I ended up digging a hole first. (RIP Slippi)

I had fun cleaning her up! Here is a plethora of pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
My first brownie!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Rest of the pics....
And I may or may not keep the grate. It is original, so I want to keep it, but damn is it RUSTY!! Any ideas on how to clean it up?

And fun fact: that rock in the heart o’ mulch was claimed from the river near my wife’s childhood home and has been in Slippi’s tank since she was a baby turtle. My wife got her in the 3rd grade.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:59:22 PM by Schaefd2 »

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: My first brownie!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 03:10:48 PM »
Wow man, beautiful chocolate! In great shape too. Love when you can recruit the fam to help out. Sorry about the loss of your pet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »
Nice kettle! Condolences for Slippi.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:19 AM »
   Don't throw that grate away. Get a bottle of evpo-rust and some 2,3 or 4 mil plastic the kind you see in Lowe's or Home Depot. Now get a cook grate and turn it upside down in the kettle, grab the plastic and cut a big enough piece to go over the grate and overlap the kettle. Put the rusty parts in and pour the evpo-rust in, cover with the lid and let the magic happen.
   After using vinegar and baking soda or manually scrubbing for hours and not being happy with the results I use evapo-rust and easy-off for all my CL finds initial cleaning of course followed with soap and water cleaning. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:26 AM »
   Don't throw that grate away. Get a bottle of evpo-rust and some 2,3 or 4 mil plastic the kind you see in Lowe's or Home Depot. Now get a cook grate and turn it upside down in the kettle, grab the plastic and cut a big enough piece to go over the grate and overlap the kettle. Put the rusty parts in and pour the evpo-rust in, cover with the lid and let the magic happen.
   After using vinegar and baking soda or manually scrubbing for hours and not being happy with the results I use evapo-rust and easy-off for all my CL finds initial cleaning of course followed with soap and water cleaning. Good luck.

OK questions ... I like the idea of using the kettle in question as the cleaning vessel. With what you described, about how much Evapo-Rust do you (pour?) in, and is it poured on top of the plastic laying on top (probably not) or just dumped down into the bowl?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 05:53:50 AM »
Thanks for the evapo-rust tip. I’m definitely trying it out!

Also, here is some backstory on the kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
That’s really cool. Make sure you keep coals away from the bowl walls.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
Looks like a nice one. Congrats!

Sent from my XT1032 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
   addicted-to-smoke I have the supporting grate upside down so that the handles don't hit the grates soaking in the evapo-rust. The plastic is on top of the upside down grate. I buy the gallon jug and pour enough to cover.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »

This! Baskets or nothing. I don’t run my lookers over 400. Just wont do it.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Nice clean looking Brownie with a thick mist. Great clean up work. IMO, those clean steel rubber wheels alone were worth $15. 8)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »

This! Baskets or nothing. I don’t run my lookers over 400. Just wont do it.

I guess I will finally break down and buy some baskets. Took me long enough huh? Lol