Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!  (Read 2583 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »

When you go to do 35-40 lbs. at once, remember that you're starting off w/five times the cold meat mass as doing one 7.5lb.  piece.........it will take quite a bit long to get up to run temp before things level out.."
Start out hot...hotter by 35-40 degrees that you would for one.....it will then get to cruising altitude much more quickly......saving you a freak out 6-7 hours later......

I might try using sand instead of water to help keep the temp up a little, also it sounds like with sand you use less fuel while cooking. I haven't tried sand yet so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to attempt it on this large cook? Maybe I should make some ribs this week with sand to see how it reacts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

If you’re are changing any variable like that you most definitely need to see how it cooks. Some guys use water, some use sand. I have pretty much been using a dry pan lately and prefer that. The water and sand act as a heat sink. It stabilizes temps and keeps the meat on the bottom from burning. But with water, you are using energy to heat the water. Yes, yes, it adds moisture. Sort of. I prefer to spritz and add moisture as needed that way. Again, it’s really all preference and you have to practice a little and dial everything in.

I also read in one of your earlier posts that you had to reload your 18WSM with charcoal? Let’s examine your charcoal lighting method a little because I know in 30 cooks on an 18WSM I have never had to add charcoal...once. Lots of meat in the cooker and things like elevation can play with that a little, but I have only heard guys having to add on some crazy marathon cooks or using a 22WSM.

My ribs last weekend at 5200ft cooked at 275 for 5 hours and I still had about half a ring of Weber coals left. Most brisket cooks I end up with about 1/2 -1/3 ring left when it’s all said and done.

Let’s explore that...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Re: Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
The way I use the WSM is minion method, I filled a ring of charcoal with an empty space in the middle like a doughnut then I did 3/4 chimney lit and dumped in the center. I used weber charcoal and opened a brand new bag for this cook to make sure it was dry. After 8 hours I got a low alarm at 215 degrees, I checked the fuel and it was almost out. I added probably 15-20 pieces and opened vents which got me back up where I needed it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app