Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!  (Read 2562 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
Technically this will be my second attempt, the first time I am considering a fail due to taking way to long to cook and being a little dry once done...

My first attempt was a 3 pound boneless hormel from cub foods that took 9 hours to get to 195 degrees! The only thing I can think of is I was aiming for 225 which it did hit but spent a good amount of time around 215 and did climb to 250 here and there. Towards the end of the cook I did spray an apple juice/apple cider vinegar mixture on it 3 times every 30 minutes so that added some time too but man I wasnt expecting a 9 hour cook for a little 3 pounder!

Here I went to the meat market and got a 7.5 pound bone in and I'm going to try and keep temps a little higher around the 250-260 range, hopefully it doesn't take 20 hours to cook this thing!!!

Part of the reason I am doing this cook is my sister is having her reception June 30th and asked if I would smoke pulled pork for them, if course I agreed but I need to get a dry run in to make sure It doesn't take 24 hours to cook 40 pounds next month.

Could I get some suggestions/tips for this 7.5 pound cook I'm doing tonight/tomorrow and maybe some tips for the 40 pound cook? Should I start this cook tonight so it's done around dinner time tomorrow or would early morning be good? Are my temps going to be good? I'm sure you can see why I'm a little skittish here...

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
One tip = cook the shoulders well in advance and freeze/fridge the bulk of what you cook. (Beyond what you nibble on that is) Don't risk it not being done when it needs to be done.  No way it will take 20 hours. 15 maybe, but only if you are running too low. Pulled pork reheats nicely with a little apple juice/cider vinegar and/or sauce. Reheat it in a sealed bag in hot water and you're golden.

In my experience, try to maintain 250ish if you're going commando. (i.e: not running an electronic temp gadget) Lid thermo is what I rely on, and I don't mind if it hits 275 or even 300 from time to time. It's probably way off anyway, but c'mon, it's a butt for God's sake = the most forgiving piece of meat on the planet.

For more than one shoulder, rotate them every few hours. Not sure it really matters, but it's a good reason to tell your wife you have work to do and can't mow the lawn.
Retired

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
Yeah I've been thinking about cooking ahead of time a couple days for the big cook.

This one tomorrow should I start it at like midnight/1am tonight?

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
Attempting Pork Butt On WSM!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »
Absolutely dont spray it 3 times every 30 min. That is killing your cook time. Some believe spraying the butt does nothing but wash the bark off.

If you spray i wouldnt do it more than once per 1-1.5 hours. You could also wrap the butt in foil around 165 if you want to speed up the cook. You will have less bark, and it will be softer, but it really speeds things up. I make it a rule to not even open the lid for at least 4-5 hours after starting.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
I'm thinking about lighting the charcoal at 11pm tonight and throwing it on around midnight or whenever the temp settles. Do you think that's a good time frame to eat around 4pm tomorrow? 7.5 pounder...

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
I'm thinking about lighting the charcoal at 11pm tonight and throwing it on around midnight or whenever the temp settles. Do you think that's a good time frame to eat around 4pm tomorrow? 7.5 pounder...

If you want to eat at 4 (pull at 3 to give an hour to rest) you will likely have to put it on tonight or very early in the am. If you put it on at 11pm you should definitely be able to eat at 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Some experts have already weighed in ... I would mention that it’s good to start early and be able to have it wait on people and not the opposite.

So use a faux cambrio... when all done, and done, but you still have to wait on the people. With it still wrapped up, or shredded and wrapped up, wrap a towel around the whole thing and put it in a cooler. It’ll stay good and warm for a few hours.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Seriously?

You got this! Its really (and I do mean...REALLY) hard to screw up a pork butt. Ambitious doing a bunch so soon...but practice a little and you will nail it. Trust me.

Here we go...school's in session:

~Increase your cook temp for starters. You won't hurt it by trying to cook hotter. 275 is a nice mid point between low/slow & hot/fast. I've been cooking them at 325 lately and haven't looked back. Last butts I did  (7.5lbs untrimmed) I woke up later in the morning that I wanted and I still had them done, rested, and eating in 6.5 hours from when the meat hit the grate (and I really wasn't rushing it).  The hotter you cook, the faster it's done.

~Spritz it only if it looks really dry. Otherwise, don't. My spritz is...2 to 3 parts Apple Juice/1 Part ACV (and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce). If it's getting dark quickly spritz with vinegar or plain water (don't add any additional sugars that will just burn).

~Keep the lid closed (and if the lid is off, work quickly). If you're lookin,' you ain't cookin.' Check it on the hour. Later in the cook, (195 internal) every 20/30 minutes. When you remove the lid for too long, the temp drops...then spikes. If you have a second person handy when transferring meat, have them grab the lid while you grab the meat. It will keep your pit temp steady (where it needs to be). If it gets too hot, close everything down...then slowly open it back up. You'll be fine.

~Wrap it in foil DURING the cook. "F"oil is your "F"riend (they both start with F...so it's easy to remember). Some people wrap to temp, some to color, some to time. I say...color is where I usually wrap. Time and temp can vary from cook to cook depending on weather, meat, pit temp, etc. So wrapping in foil midway when I get a color I like...sometimes its 155-165ish; is the bark softer? Yes. Does it still have bark? Yes. Is it juicy? Yes! I'll let you in on a super secret about pulled pork. Sshhh...please, please, please don't tell anyone, ok? Here it is: People care about tender and juicy more than bark. Take an unbiased poll if you don't believe me. ;) Bark is overrated and relegated to "beauty contests." If your rub is good, it will translate into a flavor that makes a nice bark and an excellent contrast between most of the pork in the interior (that has no bark) and the exterior. Some of the best butts I have ever made had a nice smoke ring, smoke flavor, and a soft, reddish/mahogany bark. Seriously. If you're feeding a crowd, ditch the competition mentality and go for best TASTING food. Focus more of your time "crushing" the choice of roll, bbq sauce, and the type of slaw (I prefer vinegar slaw over mayo btw).

~Pull 195-205. If you pull earlier, it will be done. Just not "pulled pork." It will slice fairly well. Pull higher than 205 and it will still pull. It may just be that you may get some mushy (or dry) pork. If you're pressed for time, and I mean hungry guests gathering around the pit, pull at the highest temp possibly under 205 and...disregard the next step.

~Open the foil and vent it for about 3-5 minutes minutes minimum (some people vent for 20-30 min). Regardless...let that steam out or it will keep cooking (unless you're pressed for time and need it to keep cooking).

~Keep the pork chunked/whole in a cooler or cambro until serving. All of that moisture you worked to save will evaporate when you start shredding it. If vac sealing, keep it chunked with juice from the foil.

Alrighty...

Fire up that pit and get after it! Do one a week before the big cook to nail down your process/procedure. If you nail it, repeat. If for some reason it isn't the best, offer it to your neighbors with some sauce. ;)

You got this.

Ok...pencils down. Any questions?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:32:46 PM by Mike in Roseville »

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Great write up Mike I appreciate the time you put into that! I'm definitely taking some notes!

I'm doing that 7.5 pounder right now, I just put her on the wsm a few minutes ago. It may be early but I want to make sure it's done for dinner tomorrow and this way I can time things out and not be in a rush.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Great write up Mike I appreciate the time you put into that! I'm definitely taking some notes!

I'm doing that 7.5 pounder right now, I just put her on the wsm a few minutes ago. It may be early but I want to make sure it's done for dinner tomorrow and this way I can time things out and not be in a rush.

You're most welcome. There are a few other people venturing into cooking pork butts this weekend so I wanted to offer a post to help everyone out. If you keep that pit closer to 275, I promise you'll be eating it at lunch. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out here or in a PM.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Thanks man, shes holding tight at 264 currently. I think I'm going to leave her sit there since shes dialed in then I can get a little sleep tonight.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:41:46 AM »
Mine always take an hour per pound. 5 hours in the smoke and 2-3 hours wrapped with a little apple juice.  I would have started in the morning.

Good luck and hope it turns out great for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:26 AM »
I put it on at about 1130pm and it's now 730am, internal temp is at 177 currently. I just had to add some charcoal as the temp was dropping and hit my 215 low alarm. Its climbed to 225 right now and hopefully keeps climbing back to the 250 range for the rest of the cook. She stayed in the 250-300 range all night, I got woke up on the 300 high alarm at about 330am and found the water bowl empty, I added water and that settled her back down to 250. I think its is a bit of a stall right now so I'll be watching...

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 04:50:08 AM »
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
Vette10R it'll be fine. You got this.

People care about tender and juicy more than bark.  True story. I'm gonna start wrapping sooner. Mine have been drier than they should be. "But great bark."

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch