Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: NPT and "regular" thread sizes?  (Read 1334 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
NPT and "regular" thread sizes?
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
On the right is an LP hose from a 2005-current Performer, as removed from the regulator, although I think it's the same thing on the other end where the orifice attaches. It's NPT thread (tapered) but I don't know the size. Do you?

On the left is "regular" thread also of unknown (and slightly different) size, since it's not tapered.

I wanna connect those two with some sorta adapter, yeah?

My local propane dealer was completely mystified by all of this.

At the bottom of the image is a normal 3/8" connection.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Re: NPT and "regular" thread sizes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
No photo, but.

Most full service auto parts stores stock
a huge assortment of brass fittings.

Try to find a bigger NAPA or independent.
Places like Advance, Auto Zone, etc are a waste of time.

The Ace near us has a pretty selection also.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
Sorry, forgot the picture. I'll try Ace, but my only other options here are the non-Napa auto parts chains or TSC.

This sort of thing, if available, is likely found easily online, if I knew what the sizes where. (Chicken or egg problem at the moment.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:49:32 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about TSC.
Lots of brass there.
Good hunting.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »
@Hank Hill got your ears on?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

mtneer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:45:21 AM »
The top threads appear to NPT as you suspect, if it is indeed NPT then once you figure the size (which may be 3/8 or possibly 1/4) the thread pitch is set by the fact it is pipe thread.

The bottom fitting is a flare fitting, typically called a hose fitting use mostly on hydraulic hoses.  The flare surface provides a good sealing surface without the need for o-rings.  The flare can be different angles, 37 degree is the most common I believe as it is an SAE standard flare.

This is just my thoughts based on the photos.  I know my Lowe's and Home Depot has a good selection of brass fittings in the plumbing section.

I hope you can track down the parts you need.